For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Joe Dell wrote:The slap I can relate to. The grovelling apology was disappointing. :( .

Apparently twitter caught fire afterwards with death threats and the like.

He had to quickly apologise if he ever wanted to work again, ever get an award or be invited anywhere.

I presume he’s had to enrol on an anger management course.

The police say they are not charging him with assault at this time.

I also presume security officers are armed at the Oscars, let’s face it, he’s lucky it wasn’t a white comedian, we know what the outcome of that would have been.
skydriller wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:I also presume security officers are armed at the Oscars, let’s face it, he’s lucky it wasn’t a white comedian, we know what the outcome of that would have been.

Really..??? :roll:

As Alan Davies says, you’d expect the security officers to take anyone trying to get on state down with a side arm at the Oscars.

But he also says, that let’s face it, they probably recognised him and went.. “oh look, there’s Will Smith going up on to the stage”.

Lucky @Rob P wasn’t doing the security
:lol: :wink:

'Where was the security?' comedian Alan Davies reacts to Smith's Oscars slap https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60910879
I'd heard of him. Never heard of the comedian he slapped.

Perhaps I'm becoming a bit of a dinosaur, perhaps I'm fed up with the normalisation of verbal insults without repercussions in the internet age, perhaps it's that I'm a martial artist and being punched in the face is something I'm therefore very familiar with over many years. A slap is, well, just a slap.

But what appears to have happened is that somebody's behaviour was out of order, somebody else delivered a pointed physical but non-harmful rebuke for it.

Move on, there's a lot more important stuff going on, even at the Oscars, where for example this year we had the first deaf man to win an Oscar (best supporting actor), and only the third woman to win best director.

G
kanga liked this
Most disappointing bit was it was just a slap, he should think himself lucky it wasn't a proper punch.

To be honest, make jokes about a lady's medical condition, that is both visible and she's conscious of, it should expose you to some sort of retaliation, either from herself or her partner. Good on him, a gentleman defending his lady's honour.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."