For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
@Rob P

I care.

Did you read the story?
It invokes a good discussion about how to behave in society. The trolls on one side, normal people on the other.

The comedian made a throwaway joke about Will Smith Wife’s hair, which she shaves due to alopecia.

It’s not nice when hundreds maybe thousands of people laugh at you because of an illness that affects your appearance.

Was it funny when David Baddiel used the term ‘Roy “Cancer” Castle’ in a joke?
I was losing someone to cancer at the time, and didn’t think so.
I bet Roy’s partner didn’t think it was, but some thought it hilarious.

So, her husband took exception, partly due to his state of mind because of the films he’s been making lately.

Afterwards he did a speech explaining, and nearly almost said sorry.

It opened up a debate on what’s acceptable and should you just “accept it” if you’re in that industry.

In his speech he said you should, but he’s feeling like he has to keep protecting people at the minute.

Personally I agreed, someone has to start putting some lines in the sand.

PS. If you’ve not heard of Will Smith, you’ve missed some excellent films, he’s one of the good guys, and really doesn’t need the publicity.
Sooty25, kanga, SafetyThird liked this
Turns out it was quite a bad career move.
Here’s his apology.

“Violence in all of its forms is poisonous
and destructive. My behavior at last
night's Academy Awards was
unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at
my expense are a part of the job, but a
joke about Jada's medical condition was
too much for me to bear and I reacted
emotionally.
I would like to publicly apologize to you,
Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong.
I am embarrassed and my actions were
not indicative of the man I want to be.
There is no place for violence in a world
of love and kindness.”
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Cessna571 wrote:Did you read the story?

No, just the headline. Nothing contained in those prompted me to read further. What people in the overpaid world of movies do for publicity doesn't interest me even slightly.

Cessna571 wrote:If you’ve not heard of Will Smith, you’ve missed some excellent films

I just took the trouble of looking up his filmography. I have seen two Men In Black films, his name just didn't ring any bells. They were very enjoyable, but I would guess that sort of comedy black stereotyping role wouldn't happen today? I also watched about twenty minutes of I Am Legend then went off to rearrange my sock drawer in colour ranges. All the rest seem to have passed me by.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I saw a bit of footage and when the second man that @Rob P hadn't heard of told the joke, the first man that @Rob P hadn't heard of laughed.

I can only assume that seconds later, off camera, he got one of those looks from Mrs first man that @Rob P hadn't heard of.

I had heard of him, my children used to watch a TV programme that he was in. I have seen the first fifteen minutes of several films that he is in but then, in all cases, like @Rob P, had an urgent, sock-based, emergency to deal with.
Rob P, Rjk983 liked this