For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By santon
I've just bought a twin smart light switch that doesn't need a hub but is controlled over the internet using the eWeLink app.

I'm getting a lot of ghost switching whereby the lights go on or off for no reason. It happened last night when I was out and at 3am this morning. The triggering is shown in the app log and it's happening randomly.

I am not a techie but have looked online and two theories are that it is a hardware interference issue that requires the addition of a capacitor and a resistor to create a low pass filter and the other is that it is an MQQT retain setting issue (and yes this is well beyond my pay grade!).

Now I know that I may well get a lecture that I should have bought an expensive Apple product or similar and not cheap unbranded (Woolley copy) Chinese tat but I'm sure that someone in the Flyer parish has played with these switches and may be able to tell me whether it is easily fixable or should be put in the bin (electrical recycling of course).

thanks
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The key thing you quote is "the triggering is shown in the app log".
If something is triggering it then it isn't a hardware issue. You need to find what is triggering it.
- software
- some setting you didn't realise you set (eg - is it set to auto-off after 30min?)
- hack

That is where I'd start looking. I don't know anything about eWeLink - I would probably be able to throw it further than I would trust it.
As an aside - I've had no issues with the TP-Link equivalent product, other than Alexa and TP-Link sometimes don't want to talk to each other.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Control from "back home"...

I always thought that if the Russians were smart, they'd just hack into everyone's smart central systems and turn them up half a degree or so, or have them delay switching off. That way they would sell more gas.