For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
I know a number on here are fans of Rammstein, or are at least familiar with their work.

If you are - and whether you understand German or not - please listen to the song “without video” please (e.g via Spotify or without watching the video on YouTube), then post back what you think.

Most of the song has an early to mid-80s feel, very unlike Rammstein.

Then watch the official video on YouTube.

As usual for Rammstein, beautifully put together video, and clearly trying to get a point across.

Yes, there is at least one “English subtitled” version of the song - but they don’t “carry” like wot the artists are clearly trying to convey
Flyin'Dutch', Korenwolf liked this
By JAFO
Listened to some first, then watched some of the video.

I think I enjoyed it about as much as the ladies halfway through seemed to be, that is, not at all.

I won't be watching the subtitled version as I could neither stand another second of it or care less what it's about.
By lobstaboy
OCB wrote:I know a number on here are fans of Rammstein...]

They're keeping very quiet about it, though...
(FD calling it "powerful" doesn't cut it).

Tangerine Dream's 'Zeit' LP on the other hand I think I might go and listen to now.
By OCB
It’s definitely not typical Rammstein, hence my asking others what they think.

Basically, I think they’re trying to say “you remember back (in time..hence “zeit”) e.g in the 80s, we used to be pals and play, and before that our collective parents worked side by side, got married and had us kids - who are now killing each other. Can’t we go back it time?”.

As usual for Rammstein, their videos are a right Heinz 57 soup of imagery and concepts etc.

Not saying it “works” - neither the song nor the video - just saying what I think they’re trying to get across.

For once I think they’re trying to be “socially responsible” and come out with an anti-war song, as opposed to just mucking around with controversy for laughs and giggles. They are an odd lot though, so who knows!

Not a song for when I hit the gym though!
By lobstaboy
I'm not sure it works tbh. For me anyway. It's what my MiL would have called a bu99ers muddle :)
And while the sentiment is fine of course, in the big picture they're wrong. I'm persuaded by Steven Pinkers argument that we are collectively less violent today than ever before in history. A random person in the world today is less likely to die violently than in the past.
Ukraine is awful. But we (the liberal west) have been wrong. We thought we were pals, but Putin and the Kremlin just smiled at our weakness and carried on. So it's no good dreaming of turning the clock back.
Ukraine seems especially awful because it's in our back yard. First war between European countries since 1945. The civilian population caught in it could be us. Are us.
(It's a dreadful thing to say but wars further away with casualties who have, for example, different skin colouring, are easier to ignore). Here are some 1980s wars
https://www.deseret.com/1989/12/25/1883 ... -conflicts
Iran-Iraq was horrific.

And I don't think you can beat Bob Dylan for anti-war songs.
By OCB
lobstaboy wrote:I'm not sure it works tbh. For me anyway. It's what my MiL would have called a bu99ers muddle :)
First war between European countries since 1945. The civilian population caught in it could be us. Are us.
(It's a dreadful thing to say but wars further away with casualties who have, for example, different skin colouring, are easier to ignore). Here are some 1980s wars
https://www.deseret.com/1989/12/25/1883 ... -conflicts
Iran-Iraq was horrific.

And I don't think you can beat Bob Dylan for anti-war songs.

..which leads onto the question, "where are today's Bob Dylans?" - can you imagine Ed Sheeran doing a Blowing in the Wind or Times are a Changing, or any band these days doing a Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" and actually being a commercial and cultural "hit"?

btw - I'd say the jury is out that this the first war between European countries since 1945. Depends how you saw the Balkans and a few of the "frozen wars".

No doubt it's the first time we've had a heavy-hitting neighbour cook up a "blood and soil" excuse to invade and employ a scorched-earth policy in this part of our planet*. I'd love to think that a sustained hard-as-bricks response we have to Ukraine will "carry over" to Syria and other theatres.

*since WWII clearly...
Last edited by OCB on Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobstaboy liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Listened then watched the video:

Jesus!

Talk about 'Music to slash your wrists to'

Not my cuppa tea :lol:

I prefer much more philistine stuff:

Live gigs lined up this year: Status Quo (last week), Hollies, Elton John,ABBA, Ed Sheeran, Gaga, Christina Aguilera. :thumright:

I shall at least be going out with a smile on my face..................... :wink:
By OCB
PeteSpencer wrote:Listened then watched the video:

Jesus!

Talk about 'Music to slash your wrists to'

I think that's exactly what they want .

If you think that's bad - go watch on YouTube "rammstein deutschland"`

As a native Anglophone - their songs aren't actually "as bad" as they seem, but they're definitely borderline.
As someone who understands a fair amount of Dutch/German language - maybe their latest song is a bit more "relevant"?
By Korenwolf
It's different, that's for sure - and even German speakers can have difficulty working out some of Rammstein's lyrics...there's various theories about the meaning of "Du Hast" for instance.

It's a bit of a theme with some German bands to write songs about war and destruction and their horror thereof, which bearing in mind the history of the region is hardly surprising.
OCB liked this
By Melanie Moxon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have been a fan of Rammstein since I first listened to their earlier albums back in college. I still aren't sure what "typical Rammstein" actually is, their songs seem to go from the comedic to darker and more brooding music with an underlying message.

Interesting message but as others have said, I don't think the Kremlin has ever been a friend of the western powers.

All being well I will be going to see Rammstein at Coventry this year, providing the 'rona doesn't cause its postponement for the third year running of course.
By OCB
I spent most of Sunday afternoon and evening with my Berliner mate and his family.

I’d previously asked Nils about the song “Deutschland”, and he’d spent several hours giving his opinion on the various nuances of Rammstein that he could give cultural context to.

I was a bit surprised that most Germans apparently think that their country is “so young, and not so old” (that’s a quote from the song) - even given the Roman/Germanic tribes history. I’d always assumed there was a vast Teutonic mythology - but seems not.

I showed both Deutschland and the latest song to him and his wife (who’d heard Deutschland but seen neither video before…her face was a picture).

Zeit - well, they both agreed it’s not “typical Rammstein”. Lyrical content is far from their typical provocative nature, which in some circumstances really was skating on thin ice WRT German anti-Nazi regs.

Also they agreed it’s not musically typical Rammstein.

Anyway - just wanted to give that bit of feedback!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this