For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Delightful email today to inform me that my electricity price will be going up on 1 April…..rather appropriately :roll:

41.660p per day standing charge and 29.494p per kWh.

Gas has an even higher increase in percentage terms, but 27.220p per day and 7.319p per kWh.

I was day dreaming about looking at an EV, now not so sure. Lots of the economy figures (per mile) of EVs seem to be based on ludicrously low unit prices for electricity. Certainly many times lower than the new price.

Is it even worth looking at alternative suppliers?
By VRB_20kt
SO energy are offering to more than double the standing charge - up from 21p to 48p whilst for electrons it's up from 15p to 27.85p per unit. Intensely frustrating since of course there is absolutely nothing that can be done to lessen the standing charge. The gas standing charge is up by around a quarter and the gas itself almost triple.

I really feel we are being royally stitched up. The distribution costs should be only slightly affected by the cost of the electrons passing through the network. And a 100% green tariff is either being mis-sold or should be unaffected by the price of oil/gas.
By riverrock
The energy companies are able to put up the prices due to the energy cap rise. 10% of the increase of the energy cap is to cover the cost of all the energy companies which have gone bust.
So although energy companies can set whatever balance they want between standing charge and unit price, most of the standing charge rise is linked to those extra fixed costs of other companies going bust.