For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
PeteSpencer wrote:I don't fancy wobbling two miles from my local Tesco on my bike at my age with even a small bag dangling from the handlebars..... :lol:

Is it the age, or what you get at the supermarket that makes you wobbly? :P

Carradice saddlebag - British and handmade, can’t recommend them highly enough.

I’m amazed at the number of locals around me using electric kick scooters. I was a bit surprised, in a good way, to see a gent in his mid 70s on his way to the local supermarket on one yesterday.
OCB wrote:Is it the age, or what you get at the supermarket that makes you wobbly? :P

That reminds me of the old joke.

I cycled to the supermarket today to pick up a bottle of gin. I was a bit worried I might drop it on the ride home, so I drank it first before I set out.

Just as well I did. I fell off five times on the way back.
Flyin'Dutch', rikur_, nallen liked this
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
avtur3 wrote:I've just received a revised forecast for my energy bills post 1st April, £5,200 per year, that is half my (soon to be received) state pension ... It seems my twilight years will be just as painful as my working years ... :(

This is getting very silly, I've just logged back into my Octopus account, barely 24 hours since me previous log in and the annual projection has increased by over £1,000 ... now sitting at £6,266 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Edit ... just noticed this is for a 10 month fix, so there is a hedge built in that would cover the first 4 months after the October cap review.
By avtur3
Miscellaneous wrote:@avtur3 I never have found suppliers' projections to be sensible, nor in my favour. It shouldn't be too difficult to have a look at your actual consumption and do your own forecast based on actual/projected prices. :thumright:

As we don't have smart meters I read the meters regularly and submit readings on line to be sure that my bills are accurate. I've actually just managed to speak to someone at Octopus who explained they haven't yet published their new standard variable rate for 1st April. So the figures on the web site relate to a 10 month fix which goes beyond the next cap review and they contain a healthy additional margin to cover that. Unfortunately they are in the process of modifying their website so some detail isn't quite as clear as it could be.

The person I spoke to did give me some figures to indicate where they expect the standard variable rate to be, but with the caveat they are not yet confirmed. On that basis I'm looking at an effective annual dual fuel rate of £3,800, well through until October at least.

I know that our gas fueled Aga has a very healthy appetite for gas, we'll turn it off at the end of the month and use the summer to consider alternatives.
OCB, Colonel Panic liked this
By OCB
avtur3 wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:@avtur3 I never have found suppliers' projections to be sensible, nor in my favour. It shouldn't be too difficult to have a look at your actual consumption and do your own forecast based on actual/projected prices. :thumright:

As we don't have smart meters I read the meters regularly and submit readings on line to be sure that my bills are accurate. I've actually just managed to speak to someone at Octopus who explained they haven't yet published their new standard variable rate for 1st April. So the figures on the web site relate to a 10 month fix which goes beyond the next cap review and they contain a healthy additional margin to cover that. Unfortunately they are in the process of modifying their website so some detail isn't quite as clear as it could be.

The person I spoke to did give me some figures to indicate where they expect the standard variable rate to be, but with the caveat they are not yet confirmed. On that basis I'm looking at an effective annual dual fuel rate of £3,800, well through until October at least.

I know that our gas fueled Aga has a very healthy appetite for gas, we'll turn it off at the end of the month and use the summer to consider alternatives.

@avtur3 - feel free to post what your situation is, honestly- there are plenty of genuine pro experts and high-end “pro amateurs” on here.

“Simply” (not entirely simple, but surprisingly pain-free) by switching over to Tado smart TRVs, my YonY winter gas bill is 25% down.

In pounds, pence and euros it counts for eff-all, as gas has about tripled in price - but every kWh I don’t use in this part of Europe is capacity available to the northern and eastern lot who are currently hand-cuffed to the Russian fascist nihilist maniac.
By malcolmfrost
So the hoarding starts!
From Boilerjuice:
We are currently experiencing high demand in your area GU26 6HU and consequently are unable to provide you with a quote for your heating oil today.

Don't panic! This is not due to a fuel shortage but more a short-term peak in demand, causing a lack of availability and high prices right now.

If your order is not urgent then keep checking our website over the next couple of days so we can get you the best price from a selection quality suppliers.
By AndyR
A farmer friend who uses red diesel on the farm and has it delivered in bulk has been unable to get a price quoted for delivery in ten days time. A year ago he was paying 43ppl, they estimate it will be around £1.20 for his next delivery but won’t be tied down to it.

Food gonna get expensive! :shock:
By Sooty25
AndyR wrote:A farmer friend who uses red diesel on the farm and has it delivered in bulk has been unable to get a price quoted for delivery in ten days time. A year ago he was paying 43ppl, they estimate it will be around £1.20 for his next delivery but won’t be tied down to it.

Food gonna get expensive! :shock:

So is cutting the strip!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By T6Harvard
AndyR wrote::lol: :lol:
That really is a first world problem
:lol: :lol:

TBF, the vast majority of what we discuss on here are first world problems ++ :lol:

(My drive to flying lessons is now costing more than the landing fees :roll: l

I heard a woman caller to Radio4 yesterday saying she was using red diesel in her car to take the kids to school because it was the only way she could afford the school run. I somehow doubt she only just deployed that tactic this last week but clearly a gamble being taken more and more.
By Miscellaneous
avtur3 wrote:The person I spoke to did give me some figures to indicate where they expect the standard variable rate to be, but with the caveat they are not yet confirmed. On that basis I'm looking at an effective annual dual fuel rate of £3,800, well through until October at least.

Well, that's a huge step in the right direction from what was projected on screen. :thumright:

I would still suggest taking your actual consumption over the past year and applying market prices (see post one of this thread for Andy's) before making any rash decisions. :thumright:
By avtur3
Miscellaneous wrote:
avtur3 wrote:The person I spoke to did give me some figures to indicate where they expect the standard variable rate to be, but with the caveat they are not yet confirmed. On that basis I'm looking at an effective annual dual fuel rate of £3,800, well through until October at least.

Well, that's a huge step in the right direction from what was projected on screen. :thumright:

I would still suggest taking your actual consumption over the past year and applying market prices (see post one of this thread for Andy's) before making any rash decisions. :thumright:

Thanks, by coincidence Octopus have now published their confirmed variable rate prices effective from 2nd April, and they are the same as the figures I'd been quoted on the phone. So I've now got an accurate forecast of what is to come, IF we were to use exactly the same as last year the new tariff would cost us £3,825 expressed as an annual rate, of course I will have to ensure we use less.

There will be no rash decisions, but the conversation will likely focus on the future of the Aga, removal and replacement will come at a cost, and then if we did change there is the debate gas or electric alternative. It seams that gas is being demonised as a domestic fuel ... all to be thought about in the coming months. I know that our central heating system could be used more efficiently with an improved control system and I've already received some good advice from folks here about that. :thumleft:
T6Harvard liked this