For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Twice in the last month I've received an email in my accounts payable inbox reporting that an invoice is overdue. Both professionally written, formatted email, with signature, etc.
They quote the genuine phone number for the company they claim to be from, but there is no individual of the name given at the company, and the company confirm that I owe them nothing.
There are no other links in the email, and the from address just bounces back as recipient unknown.

It's obviously some sort of scam, but I'm baffled as to how it is supposed to work. There's no link in the email for me to click and be duped; the phone number is of a real company; and the email goes to the real company, but no such individual.

Any ideas how the scam is meant to work?
By low&slow
I believe the usual practice is that the bank account details on the invoice are wrong, if you pay electronically the money ends up in an account controlled by the fraudsters.
By rikur_
@low&slow @ROG No bank details in the email. No invoice attached to the email. May be the scammer just screwed up!
By Cessna571
What’s the email address it comes from?

If you respond to the email address asking for the invoice, THEN they know they’ve got you?

Pre filtering of people that won’t fall for it?
By rikur_
Cessna571 wrote:What’s the email address it comes from?

A named email address at the company that it claims to come from, but on replying to the email I get a 'address not found' from their email server. Talking to the company, no one of that name at the company either.
By eltonioni
Most online scams now seem to be about you getting in touch (criminal call centre in downtown Islamabad / Kolkata / Nairobi / etc) and them then social engineering you into emptying your bank account in their direction. AIUI there's no way that clicking a link will do the same, they actually need to do it one to one, get you to download and install mirroring software, give them account numbers, passwords etc.

There are a bunch of fun YouTube vids where anti-scammers have hacked into these call centres and are having conversations with the scammers while watching them on their webcam