For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anyone encountered this, seems to be related to my desktop, the same mouse (Logitech M235) works fine on other machines, Windows, Mac and Chromebook. And a different mouse suffers same problem on the desktop machine.

Very erratically the cursor either freezes for a few seconds or lags behind mouse movement moving across the screen in a series of jumps.

I've seen various so called 'solutions' online, but none have worked for me, anyone had a similar problem, and, better still, found a solution?

TIA
By avtur3
Paul_Sengupta wrote:The processor or memory is being taxed by something. Could be an update in progress, could be a virus. Check in task manager for processor, memory and hard disk usage.

If it is an update, leave the PC on for a few hours for it to complete.

Sorry, maybe should have stated that this problem has existed for several years now, and it comes and goes. But overall it has maintained through two SSD hard drive upgrades, and a RAM upgrade.

It is clear that something is 'grabbing' processor power when it happens, but I can't identify what is happening or why.
By avtur3
VRB_20kt wrote:Does it happen with a bog-standard USB mouse?

I haven't used a 'wired' mouse in years, but yes it happens with a bog standard 'wireless' USB mouse. Where the same mouse does not have a problem with other computers and where the problem exists whatever mouse is used on this particular computer. The problem relates to the machine, not the mouse it has been going on for 3-4 years. No amount of switching on an off and checking software updates has any impact on the problem.
avtur3 wrote:
VRB_20kt wrote:Does it happen with a bog-standard USB mouse?

I haven't used a 'wired' mouse in years, but yes it happens with a bog standard 'wireless' USB mouse. Where the same mouse does not have a problem with other computers and where the problem exists whatever mouse is used on this particular computer. The problem relates to the machine, not the mouse it has been going on for 3-4 years. No amount of switching on an off and checking software updates has any impact on the problem.

So you haven't tried it with a wired mouse?
By PeteSpencer
avtur3 wrote:Thanks for suggestion ... I must admit I haven't tried a wired mouse ... I don't have one but will get one and give it a try. :thumleft:

Just a thought: Is your wireless mouse's little USB 'knob' thingy plugged into the computer direct or into an Anker-style powered multiple USB socket extension?
stevelup wrote:My gut feeling is RF interference. You need to try an actual wired mouse.

Although I'm a Mac user I'd tend to agree - I also had 'laggy mouse syndrome' with a wireless mouse (cheap 3rd party one, I know!), the problem vanished when reverting to a wired one.
By avtur3
Thanks for all the replies, clearly there is very strong advice to try a wired mouse.

So, courtesy of Amazon a Logitech B100 wired mouse was delivered today, not expensive but a known name.

From first touch it is clearly a different experience to that which I have put with for probably five+ years with various models of Logitech wireless mice.

I've never had a problem with the current wireless mouse when used with my Dell laptop, and that has been used in many location around the UK and even around the world, in places as diverse as Iceland to Saudi Arabia! But if I use my laptop in my office I always use the track pad, never the wireless mouse.

So there must be something going on with my office setup that causes a problem with wireless mice, thinking about it this problem has even persisted through a house move, but where my office set up remained very much the same, in terms of desk layout and multiple bits of electronic kit positioned close by.

It's early days but it does appear to be problem solved, thanks for the input.
VRB_20kt liked this
By FlightDek
As said before this indicates RF interference with your desktop PC as the source. As an experiment put the RF receiver dongle on the end of a USB extension lead to move it away from the PC and see how the mouse performs