For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:Basically if you are turning into a road, you should give way to a pedestrian who is about to, or already crossing.

You already had to give way to those already crossing. It's the "about to" which is the issue now...it means people can just carry on walking without looking and stopping if a car is about to turn into the road.

No, it doesn't. It says that all road users have a responsibility for their own safety and that of other road users.

Yes, it SAYS that but sure as eggs is eggs there will be pedestrians who think they can walk out despite a moving vehicle approaching because now 'cars have to stop' for them, whether or not it is safe to do so.

I am happy to be courteous, often stopping to allow others to cross / enter the road, but I check my mirrors first and ensure I have a safe stopping distance. I am not convinced that some folks will take full account of the safety of forcing a car to stop before strolling out.

As said earlier though, much trouble would be alleviated with proper reporting.
As you rightly say @JAFO , all road users should have due regard.
Pedestrians who nonchalantly walk out in front of me (and taking their time over it) jump out of their skin when I give a blast of the horn, just as I’m passing them. Pensioners excepted of course.
By Rob P
Miscellaneous wrote:@Rob P, go'n you old cynic! :lol:

No cynicism involved. Despite my petrolhead credentials I believe increasingly the private car has no place in a city.

Rob P
Rob P wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:@Rob P, go'n you old cynic! :lol:

No cynicism involved. Despite my petrolhead credentials I believe increasingly the private car has no place in a city.

Rob P

I'll agree with that sentiment, however changing the HC, as has been done, isn't an effective method of stopping them. Clean, punctual and reliable public transport would encourage more to use it. There's a catch 22 there too though. There are already enough buses running around empty without adding to that number. Ultimately it will have to be legislated, IMO.

I'm with @T6Harvard, I worry there is a risk the demographic prone to stepping out as they have right of way could cause unnecessary 'mayhem'. As I say I don't understand what problem is being addressed.
By OCB
Pedestrians basically “always being in the right” has been the way in other European countries for a long time.

The first time a ran into it (well, nearly ran over some young guy - who then gave me “the stare”), a local explained the local law.

I seem to remember mentioning that laws of physics are harder to change than municipal laws.

The worst I’ve had is a Lycra Lout jogger who came flying out from a corner where, with the corner of a building etc,it was impossible to see him in the approximate 0.3 of a second he was visible to me.

He slammed his hand hard on the bonnet of the car, waved his hands in the air then and tapped his cranium with his index finger angrily a few times.

I guess he was trying to tell me he had mental issues, so I gave him a wink and a big thumbs up for encouragement.

He didn’t seem to like that.
Pete L, Dodo, TrickyWoo liked this
By Rob P
@Miscellaneous
Nowhere did I suggest changes in the Highway Code would bring about the end of private cars in cities. Merely that these changes reflected the way things are heading.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PeteSpencer
The B pillar, (if indeed that is the name of the chunk of metal by my right shoulder whence issues the driver's seatbelt) in my Krauto is perfectly wide enough to conceal from vue an entire vehicle approaching fast as I once found out almost at great cost...................... :shock: :oops:
By TopCat
I CBA to read this thread, so I'll just say this: the Dutch reach is an excellent way of getting morons to stand a bit more of a chance of seeing something coming up from behind.

I've been opening the door with my right hand all my life, and I'm not going to change now.

The other thing I've been doing all my life, is opening it only an inch or two, and not opening it any further until I've looked through the damn gap to see if anything's coming.

I'm not going to change that either.
By Rob P
Dear Lord,

Since when has best practice been the subject of enforcement?

is not reflecting the Law, just advice /best practice.

Maybe we should enforce reading the whole thread?

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO liked this
By Nick
Paultheparaglider wrote:This forum is slipping. We are on page three, and nobody has yet suggested that a careful look behind before opening the door is an important prerequisite to taking out the cyclist efficiently. :wink:

Quite.
There is a big shiney thing on the door called a mirror. Just look into it before, and whilst (slowly) opening said door.

Nick