For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
@-DV8R- For heavens sake! Sneaking a Brexit whinge into a Highway Code discussion. :roll:

Wouldn't you be happier on Twitter?

Rob P
Sooty25 liked this
Rob P wrote:@-DV8R- For heavens sake! Sneaking a Brexit whinge into a Highway Code discussion. :roll:

Wouldn't you be happier on Twitter?

Rob P

Long Brexit is doing the rounds at the moment.

Anyway, according to Twitter today is the day. Drivers will be expected to do the things that they were taught when they learned to drive, like not following too close to the vehicle in front in case they brake unexpectedly. Social media and newspaper comments sections are having an absolute meltdown about not running people over. Christ knows what they have been doing all these years.
T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
I was appalled to discover that tailgating on autoroutes is what's taught in France.

Rob P
T6Harvard wrote:
Of course the sensible thing to say is 'do not open your door until you have checked carefully for other road/pavement users'.

Situation: narrow road in front a parade of shops with parking both sides; as I moved to the left to pull away at low speed having parked on the right (one way system) , the dickhead in the car ahead of me opened their passenger door without looking and took my wing mirror off.
Mind you, his damage was worse with a bent door frame etc.
eltonioni liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:I was appalled to discover that tailgating on autoroutes is what's taught in France.

Rob P

Yep, together with keeping your indicator on in the outside lane. :wink:

And to NOT indicate approaching a roundabout, to drive around the outside of the roundabout, and only indicate to leave the roundabout... :roll:
By Rob P
I doubt that.

As noted earlier the side benefit is to make city driving more problematic and discourage people from taking cars into cities. Even in the unlikely event of these massive queues happening, it won't change back.

Rob P
I remain unconvinced there is a safety benefit for pedestrians.

I envisage cars stopping to let pedestrians cross and pedestrians unaware of the changes and/or nervous about them sensibly sticking with their engrained practice of waiting on the road being clear.

A fix for a problem that didn't exist, as far as I can see.
Sooty25 liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
[holier than thou] Well, I must be prescient as I've always stopped to let waiting pedestrians cross and crawled at walking pace past the multitude of Suffolk's horses on the extreme opposite side of the road[/holier than thou].

Scared the cr ap out of a few cyclists, though :lol: :lol:
kanga, Nick, JAFO liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:[holier than thou] Well, I must be prescient as I've always stopped to let waiting pedestrians cross and crawled at walking pace past the multitude of Suffolk's horses on the extreme opposite side of the road[/holier than thou].

I found it easier just to fit bull bars. :wink:
By Rob P
Well the give cyclists room thing appears to be having some effect. But the motorist I followed this morning seems to have confused the new rules for cyclists with the "Pass wide & slow" for horses.

He gave the cyclist lots of room, but he also slowed to cycling pace plus 1 mph which left me a little more exposed than I wanted to be in view of the oncoming vehicle. My fail though, I should have anticipated his twattishness and not followed his overtake.

Rob P
eltonioni liked this