For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
The issue for me is the priority given to cyclists going straight on when I want to turn left.
Looking at some you tube videos made by mr angry cyclist wearing a camera, my slowing down, after indicating left 100 yards before the turn, will not mean he will desist from his fast pace undertake in my blindspot .
By Mz Hedy
Jim Jones wrote:The issue for me is the priority given to cyclists going straight on when I want to turn left.
Looking at some you tube videos made by mr angry cyclist wearing a camera, my slowing down, after indicating left 100 yards before the turn, will not mean he will desist from his fast pace undertake in my blindspot .

If Mr Angry passes inside you in that situation, he is in breach of HWC Rule 74 (Jan 2022 version):
"Turning. When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles turning in front of you, out of or into the side road. If you intend to turn left, check first for other cyclists or motorcyclists before signalling. Do not ride on the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left." (My bold)

Not that that will make much difference :roll:
By Smaragd
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Charles Hunt wrote:Just checking, do the new rules confirm that when you come out wide to pass cyclists or horses that you can do this irrespective of white lines and opposing traffic?

I don't recommend doing it irrespective of oncoming traffic! :roll:
Paul_Sengupta liked this
This is to hopefully help with the infamous "left hook" where drivers overtake and then turn left almost immediately in front of a cyclist. A reasonable warning and proper indicating isn't a problem, but how many drivers use their indicators to signal their intention to turn rather than the fact they are turning?
Flyingfemme liked this
Smaragd wrote:
Charles Hunt wrote:Just checking, do the new rules confirm that when you come out wide to pass cyclists or horses that you can do this irrespective of white lines and opposing traffic?

Neither do I, but that's what's happened to me any number of times.
Cessna571 liked this
By Rob P

No.

Most cyclists are doing more than 10 mph.

Rob P
malcolmfrost, Smaragd liked this
Charles Hunt wrote:
Smaragd wrote:

Neither do I, but that's what's happened to me any number of times.

For many years there have been many drivers that will dawdle overtaking a cyclist and making the oncoming car brake to avoid a head on collision. Even more dangerous when they attempt the overtake going into a blind corner!

In the older days I assumed they had not selected a lower gear when necessary to get better acceleration to complete the overtake quicker and more safely.

In more recent times I sometimes wonder about the adverse effect of insurance black boxes assessing how good/bad a driver is by how spirited they accelerate/brake doing what used to be considered normal safe acceleration/braking. With these boxes I think they are more likely to dither doing an overtake. More likely to pull out of a side road into a gap not big enough or a big enough gap but not getting upto the (legal) flow rate of the traffic quickly enough - making other vehicles brake or swerve to avoid collision.

I have seen one car in December with a sign in the back window saying insurance black box fitted - please back off! That driver obviously got fed up of being tail gated after not accelerating properly.
However they have created a big blind spot for their rear view mirror ...

As humans, there will always be people that make an honest mistake and some that are just too impatient waiting for that safe gap.
Sooty25 wrote:Not sure why everyone is getting so excited about the new rules, chances are most of us can only remember less than half of the old ones anyway!

lol... and that's just the UK rules.

When Brits go abroad I wonder how many check what the other country rules are other than which side of the road to drive on, which way to go round the roundabouts, and who has right of way (in theory) at junctions and slip roads, how many spare bulbs to carry, how many alcohol breath test kits to carry, .... and so on. It cant be as simple as that can it if the UK keep having to change the HC after all these years. :wink:
By JAFO
So, how do we now pass cyclists on single track country lanes where there's not enough space?

When I cycle those lanes, I pull over to let cars pass if necessary but yesterday I was behind several cyclists or groups of them who were far too important to do that. The new code says:

Cyclists should be aware of people driving behind them and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping)

So, if they can't be bothered to stick to the new rules, nor can I.
Flyingfemme, Nick liked this
I have a 1km ride to my newsagents along a reasonably busy road and gently uphill. On 50% of my rides I see at least one close pass or near head on collision as people don't seem to know how gears work! They also frequently attempt an overtake on blind corners. I would ride onthe pavement but I can't do that now, even though it would be safer for me and them.
More generally, the standard of driving and riding leaves a lot to be desired, not helped by modern cars having large blindspots and the demise of Cycling Proficiency. Nothing would induce me to ride down the inside of a lorry if there was the slightest chance of it turning left, yet that is how many cycling deaths in cities happen. Riding with headphones is another thing.
Car drivers seem very poor at overtaking, we spent 15 miles dawdling at 45 in a 60 because no-one was prepared to overtake, partly because no-one left adequate space to slot in.
An hour with an instructor every 10 years is my solution!
T6Harvard liked this
JAFO wrote:So, how do we now pass cyclists on single track country lanes where there's not enough space?

When I cycle those lanes, I pull over to let cars pass if necessary but yesterday I was behind several cyclists or groups of them who were far too important to do that. The new code says:

Cyclists should be aware of people driving behind them and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping)

So, if they can't be bothered to stick to the new rules, nor can I.

So do I, but was there actually a place to stop and would that cause more problems on a single track road with maybe the odd farm gate?
By JAFO
eltonioni wrote:If you can't overtake safely, don't overtake. Wait.

Not especially controversial is it?

Doesn't answer my question, @eltonioni.

A couple of miles of single track lane with passing places and gates and so on. The Highway Code requires me to give them 5 feet but there isn't 5 feet to give them. The Highway Code also requires them to pull over if a car is behind and wishes to overtake but they can't be bothered.

Is your solution really to drive at less than ten miles an hour behind them simply because they won't use the available space?

No cyclists were harmed during the creation of this question.