For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
Flyingfemme wrote:Maybe pedestrians should be banned, by law, from stepping out into the road when “using” a phone? And/or headphoness?

How about making Tufty Club certification obligatory? I’ve still got my badge, so I’ll be alright :lol:
T6Harvard liked this
From the Highway Code:
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).
By Rob P
nickwilcock wrote:From the Highway Code:
but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

This is the part people used to appear to have huge difficulty with. Once the rear was on, it stayed on until the ignition was switched off, whatever the visibility.

And don't get me started on the use of fog lights at the same time as headlights. :furious:

Rob P
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:And don't get me started on the use of fog lights at the same time as headlights.

Presumably you are talking about full beam headlights...which is pointless in fog. But I dont think its possible on most cars to turn on just foglights...certainly not on my GFs beemer, you have to have the main lights on first.
Couldnt tell you about the Porker, only ever drive it in the sunshine 8)
By Rob P
skydriller wrote:Presumably you are talking about full beam headlights...which is pointless in fog. But I dont think its possible on most cars to turn on just foglights...certainly not on my GFs beemer, you have to have the main lights on first

Yes, this is unfortunate. If you can't actually switch on 'fog' lights whist running on parking lights only, then they aren't foglights, they are decoration.

Foglights are for crawling along in very thick fog*. Using dipped main beams at the same time makes the situation worse, not better. Luckily most of us these days never meet such conditions, so that some manufacturers use them as a styling feature matters little.

Rob P

*Equally, driving snow. More likely to be encountered
tr7v8 liked this
By PeteSpencer
In deepest Suffolk, front foglights are most useful for their 'side-spread' in illuminating the nearside kerb with its untreated, rim-smashing potholes in these days of zero road maintenance, absence of nearside whitelines and cr ap modern mud-obscured so-called 'cats eyes'................. :evil:
Rob P liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:In deepest Suffolk, front foglights are most useful for their 'side-spread' in illuminating the nearside kerb with its untreated, rim-smashing potholes in these days of zero road maintenance, absence of nearside whitelines and cr ap modern mud-obscured so-called 'cats eyes'................. :evil:

Which is why cyclists need to be a reasonable distance from the kerb and may need to swerve to avoid one which explains 1.5m clearance :D :D
Rob P liked this
By -DV8R-
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Bløødy Dutch, come over here, steal our jobs, marry our wimmin, bugger off, and still make UK law!

What, my friends, what, have the Dutch ever done for us!?

You lot invited William (of Mary fame). That's how the Dutch came to be here. By the way, we ruled the waves before you did....
kanga, T6Harvard liked this
malcolmfrost wrote:Which is why cyclists need to be a reasonable distance from the kerb and may need to swerve to avoid one which explains 1.5m clearance :D :D

My recollection from when I sat my car test (it wasn't yesterday) was the distance a cyclist should be passed at should be sufficient, that should he fall off in to the road one would not make contact.

Maybe the condition of the roads was better then? :D
tr7v8 liked this
By OCB
-DV8R- wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Bløødy Dutch, come over here, steal our jobs, marry our wimmin, bugger off, and still make UK law!

What, my friends, what, have the Dutch ever done for us!?

You lot invited William (of Mary fame). That's how the Dutch came to be here. By the way, we ruled the waves before you did....

I was [*]so close[*] to going down that argument route a while back - but decided against it.

I preferred to concentrate on the positive side of things (gin etc).

The negative side?

Yes, that whole "Catholic versus Protestant" thing.

...answers on a postcard folks, on an self-addressed envelope, addressed to the 17th century....
Flyin'Dutch', kanga, -DV8R- liked this
By PeteSpencer
Miscellaneous wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:Which is why cyclists need to be a reasonable distance from the kerb and may need to swerve to avoid one which explains 1.5m clearance :D :D

My recollection from when I sat my car test (it wasn't yesterday) was the distance a cyclist should be passed at should be sufficient, that should he fall off in to the road one would not make contact.

Maybe the condition of the roads was better then? :D

When I took my motorbike test (One size fits all :lol: ) on my 125cc Vespa in 1961, the teaching was always to pass parked cars with a 5ft margin (Presumably a 'door width'.)

Never did get to buy the Harley though...................