For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By CloudHound
Apparently from the end of January 22 as part of the new Highway Code drivers must use their left hand to open their door.

Passengers must use their right hand.

It’s called the Dutch Reach and failure to follow the rule that results in injury can lead to a £1000 fine.

No, really it’s true.
Last edited by CloudHound on Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No it's not true. It's being reported thus due to lazy, headline grabbing journalism.

The HC says, 'rule 239 : “Where you are able to do so, you should open the door using your hand on the opposite side to the door you are opening; for example, use your left hand to open a door on your right-hand side.
This will make you turn your head to look over your shoulder.
You are then more likely to avoid causing injury to cyclists or motor cyclists passing you on the road, or to people on the pavement.”

Unless the HC uses the word Must (or Must Not) it is not reflecting the Law, just advice /best practice.

Of course the sensible thing to say is 'do not open your door until you have checked carefully for other road/pavement users'.

It was drummed into me very early on during driving lessons. I treat it like an item on my checklist, always check carefully, even on a supposedly quiet road. I do not open the door by reaching across with the wrong hand though (completely pointless).
Dodo, kanga, Paultheparaglider and 4 others liked this
CloudHound wrote:Apparently from the end of January 22 as part of the new Highway Code drivers must use their left hand to open their door.

Passengers must use their right hand.

It’s called the Dutch Reach and failure to follow the rule that results in injury can lead to a £1000

No, really it’s true.

Why do you have a problem with a rule (not a law) aiming to prevent injury or death to cyclists, or very expensive damage to your or other vehicles?
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Bløødy Dutch, come over here, steal our jobs, marry our wimmin, bugger off, and still make UK law!

What, my friends, what, have the Dutch ever done for us!?

Well the only thing I can't forgive is Edam cheese :lol:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
You misunderstood the explanation! Basically if you are turning into a road, you should give way to a pedestrian who is about to, or already crossing.
The preamble also says none of the changes detract from the responsibility of all road users to have regard for their own, and others safety.
Rule H2
Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and
cyclists
At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a
road into which or from which you are turning.
You MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians
and cyclists on a parallel crossing (see Rule 195).
Pedestrians have priority when on a zebra crossing, on a parallel crossing or at
light controlled crossings when they have a green signal.
You should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and to
pedestrians and cyclists waiting to cross a parallel crossing.
Horse riders should also give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to
pedestrians and cyclists on a parallel crossing

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1037306/table-of-change-to-the-highway-code.pdf
Mz Hedy liked this
malcolmfrost wrote:You misunderstood the explanation!

Thanks, @malcolmfrost, I'm pretty sure the explanation claimed a driver should permit a pedestrian approaching a crossing to continue walking and not have to stop.

Not that the difference between my misunderstanding (or the poor explanation) makes an awful lot of difference to the practicality in larger towns and cities.

I'm not convinced it is workable. :?
townleyc liked this
The difference is between a pedestrian "having the right" and a driver "should " give way. IMO it's all about respect for other road users, particularly vulnerable ones, ie not encased in 2 tonnes of metal!! If you read the changes, I find it hard to disagree with any of it, unless you believe drivers should be allowed to do what they want regardless. I walk, cycle and drive so in all camps (except horses!)
Paultheparaglider liked this