For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paultheparaglider wrote:
kanga wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:..

Never did get to buy the Harley though...................

.. because your thinking evolved to regard Harley riders as organ donors ? :wink:

I suspect he realised his Vespa was faster than a Harley, as well as more practical and more stylish.

I loved that Vespa: Kept it for 13 years-Even kept the receipt :lol:

it was My 'n' Mrs S's sole means of independent transport for the first four years of married life and went everywhere through London traffic like a knife through butter.............................. :shock:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
kanga wrote:... to regard Harley riders as organ donors ?

Generally speaking Harleys don't travel fast enough to get involved in a serious RTC, but brain damage from inhalation of Duraglit fumes is a commonplace.

Rob P
T6Harvard, eltonioni liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:I loved that Vespa: Kept it for 13 years-Even kept the receipt :lol:

I really wish I'd kept the receipt from my first bike. It was a purple Yamaha FS1E. TGL64M. Bought for £199 from Difazio's in Bath.

I only kept it for a year when I moved on to a Suzuki GT250. What a difference in performance, but, as the saying goes, the first cut is the deepest.
By T6Harvard
Paultheparaglider wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:I loved that Vespa: Kept it for 13 years-Even kept the receipt :lol:

I really wish I'd kept the receipt from my first bike. It was a purple Yamaha FS1E. TGL64M. Bought for £199 from Difazio's in Bath.

I only kept it for a year when I moved on to a Suzuki GT250. What a difference in performance, but, as the saying goes, the first cut is the deepest.

My first boyfriend had a Fizzy. Moved on to a 250 something. Crashed into a wagon and survived via major surgery for internal injuries. Next vehicle? His Dad bought him a fourth-hand Triumph Dolomite in insipid pale blue, IIRC, for safety's sake. I remember getting stranded miles from anywhere when the aluminium cylinderhead cooked.
By kanga
OCB wrote:@T6Harvard - Triumph had very clever engineers ..

<continuing drift :oops: >

.. on scooters and engineering talent: happy to remind Forumites that the world's first scooter, >25 years before Lambretta/Vespa, was a Gloster Aircraft Company product; and that the only surviving, fully restored, road legal, example is at the Jet Age Museum :)

https://jetagemuseum.org/wp-content/upl ... Slide7.jpg
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
OCB wrote:@T6Harvard - Triumph had very clever engineers when it came to engine design.

One optional feature was the “fake a breakdown” switch, aimed specifically at the singles market….

Yep :thumright:
By OCB
T6Harvard wrote:
OCB wrote:@T6Harvard - Triumph had very clever engineers when it came to engine design.

One optional feature was the “fake a breakdown” switch, aimed specifically at the singles market….

Yep :thumright:

Vauxhall tried to copy this technology.

My Cavalier Mk1 donked on the expressway between Hamilton and East Kilbride one miserable winters night in the late 80s.

The basic “hansom prince needing a lift” thing had kicked in, and in fact a couple of lovely ladies pulled over - then they saw I had my (then) gf in tow - and admitted they were only interested cos they thought I was single….Wimmin!
T6Harvard, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PeteSpencer
Miscellaneous wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Never did get to buy the Harley though...................

What's stopping you? :thumright:

https://www.lind.co.uk/harley-davidson

Lost the DVLA m/c rating at last age-driven licence renewal ………..

Edit : I lied-I have unrestricted A licence :lol:

It’s big trucks I can’t drive …. X
By -DV8R-
CloudHound wrote:Apparently from the end of January 22 as part of the new Highway Code drivers must use their left hand to open their door.

Passengers must use their right hand.

It’s called the Dutch Reach and failure to follow the rule that results in injury can lead to a £1000 fine.

No, really it’s true.

To just shamelessly copy a habit from the European mainland is not in line with and far distanced from the Brexit ideology and in this case even without consideration... There are laws governing imported goods, services and intellectual property, that are totally neglected here. I foresee however that Boris and his government will argue they didn't consider any wrongdoing in this.... Party on !!

Happy landings all,
DV8R