For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:Pedestrians basically “always being in the right” has been the way in other European countries for a long time.

The rules being in place to protect the most vulnerable users of the space in question seems entirely unsurprising to be honest.

I’m not saying the the UK is the ALWays outlier on public safety, prefers devil-take-the-hindmost and gets offended when asked to change…. But…
Rob P, kanga liked this
I completely took out a runner once when I was young, who was running along the pavement at quite a pace and I opened the door across the pavement.

He ended up in a proper heap, and ever since I have always been very careful.

My mother in law took a door off a car that was opened into traffic.

The other person said they’d opened the door only a few inches, waiting for my mother in law to pass and she just drove straight into their car. The fact the door was open was superfluous.

The damage was inconclusive, she hit the door first, but was it really only 2 inches from the car at the time.
I’m really not sure who was at fault as my mother in law gave up driving after that accident as it turned out she had no peripheral vision.

My point is, I’m already very careful now, without having to make up weird ways of opening doors, maybe others still aren’t careful though.

Would it have helped if I was told that before the runner incident ?

While I’m here…. wing mirrors? Why doesn’t anyone use wing mirrors any more?
By Rob P
Nick wrote:There is a big shiney thing on the door called a mirror. Just look into it before, and whilst (slowly) opening said door.

Which works fine unless your big shiny things fold when the ignition is switched off.

Mine don't - :(

Rob P
Rob P wrote:@Paul_Sengupta

Not jealous at all.

Rob P

You wouldn't be on a winter morning when the things are frozen in the folded position. :wink: I disable the fold function, only activating if I have a particular need. That ain't very often.
By Paul_Sengupta
Miscellaneous wrote:You wouldn't be on a winter morning when the things are frozen in the folded position.

Oh yeah, I had that once. ;-)

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I think I can fold mine. Once.

Most should be manually foldable.
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:But my S type ones don't fold

It was on the option list, at least after the major face-lift of 2002 (?)

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Rob P wrote:Which works fine unless your big shiny things fold when the ignition is switched off.

Mine only fold when I lock the doors. (XF)

Mine don’t fold as I’ve disabled the function: 15 years of folding caused the wiring to fail and Mercedes wanted£800 for a new mirror unit.

Local Indy soldered it for £25 but said ‘no more folding’. :wink:
Paul_Sengupta liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:The B pillar, (if indeed that is the name of the chunk of metal by my right shoulder whence issues the driver's seatbelt) in my Krauto is perfectly wide enough to conceal from vue an entire vehicle approaching fast as I once found out almost at great cost...................... :shock: :oops:

The same is possible with the A pillar at the front when approaching roundabouts and junctions and they do not have to be fast.

Bit like flying with the converging traffic on a constant relative bearing hidden by some part of the airframe.
rf3flyer wrote:I haven't read the entire thread so this may already been raised but as one who has done quite a lot of cycle commuting I have long thought that a cycling proficiency course should be a necessary precursor to the driving test.

For the same logic I have heard some motorcyclists say that having a go on a motorcycle CBT course should be a necessary precursor to the car/van driving test.
... in the rain of course!

It might make the traffic flow better when car drivers learn they do not need to brake on every corner, and would improve their fuel/energy economy. :wink:
townleyc, rf3flyer, Nick liked this