For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By ROG
WE HAVE A TRANSPONDER AS ABOVE.
The ALT button now requires several pushes before ALT APPEARS.-getting worse
Just wonder if anyone else may have had this problem on this model, if repaired where and some idea of cost.
Have had one quote to date suggesting it can not be fixed other than by sending it back to the manufacturer .
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There was a time when Garmin charged a set price (pretty hefty-£800 ish IIRC) for any repair and it had to go back to USA.

However we had our Garmin 430W fixed by Horizon Avionics at Southend (Mike Hodby) a few years ago.

Interestingly they returned it to us with a damaged push switch which they eventually accepted responsibility for after some argy-bargy and fixed it locally.

They're just up the road from you at Southend airport- have you tried them?
By ROG
Hi Pete--thanks--I was also quoted £800 which seems ridiculous.
Thanks for info--will probably have a word with local companies
Without having any knowledge of avionics I would have thought it"s just a faulty contact--hence the question.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
They do come up secondhand from time to time and are relatively inexpensive. I paid <£500 for mine in excellent condition.

May be cheaper than a return to manufacturer repair.
By ROG
Hi Paul--if it stops totally should I try spraying/rubbing a tiny amount of contact cleaner on the button.
At present I press VFR-7000 then push ALT so have it working before flight--at present still works but needs about 7 or so pushes. Then stays showing ALT for flight.
My avionics knowledge is unfortunately somewhat limited.