For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Any forumites experienced at editing such footage? Stratotramp, is that a 360 camera you use in your last video?

First things first, is there a way to get the footage as shot (IE the .360 file) directly in to Final Cut Pro?

Is it easy/practically possible to produce an ordinary video from the 360 footage, but editing the footage to provide different shots from the same camera? I have tried and had some success with very short duration footage, doing it for longer videos seems a bit too much.

TIA :thumright:
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I tend to use the gopro player before editing in DaVinci.

The GoPro player has two modes 360 & keyframe. I use keyframe mode mostly. This lets you pick an angle. The software can then take most of the distortion out. And it will automatically pivot between your keyframes (views) You can then pick a section to export for editing.

Sounds more difficult than it is. Have a play and you'll soon pick it up.

Let me see if I can find a tutorial.. sorry it's Australian... Nobody is perfect :lol:

I might film my own at some point.

It's a bit of a pain using two bits of software but GoPro player is free. As is DaVinci which is pretty amazing giving its features.

With this video I set a specific clip length, picked all the forward keyframes, exported. Then went back in deleted the forward keyframes and put in the rear view and exported result is two synced videos of different views from the same camera.

Last edited by StratoTramp on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Miscellaneous liked this
By StratoTramp
I would say pick fewer keyframes. I think you can lock it to a view or get it to turn relative. I did notice some procession. Internal gyros getting confused or something.

Which bit do you mean by repeat several times?

With regard to an hour's footage I usually have to go through at least 3 hours. But mostly there are only a few interesting bits to share! My Carp landings me looking confused in flight.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miscellaneous liked this
By Micromouse
You can also pass the 360 file through GP exporter to get an MP4 and then edit in real 360 rather than reframing. I use Premier Pro. Here are a few examples https://360views.world

Wayne
Thanks guys. :thumright:

What I am trying to achieve is to produce a standard video (IE not 360), by editing the 360 to provide views in different directions, panning etc. The idea being to make the video more interesting by appearing to have being shot with numerous cameras, panning etc. :D

@StratoTramp the example you linked to edits a short clip to produce a single pan. Could this be done several times in that clip without having to re edit the clip numerous times?
By StratoTramp
Yeah, you just put more keyframes (views in)

The way the key frames work is you select the start view you want and the end view. The software works out how to pan between them.

It sometimes picks the wrong direction!
By StratoTramp
Made this desktop capture quickly just now - Not sure if it helps or just shows the same. Should become HD soon.

It always the 360 file but viewed in keyframe mode, if you leave it in 360 whatever you export will be in 360. Keyframe allows you to use like a virtual camera, and adjust for distortion (it's not perfect but takes the worst out) The toggle is at the top at the beginning.

the player software is available here:

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/360-editor ... or-windows

I tend to export short clips into davinci. you could make a whole video in GoPro Player but it's a PITA and not as versatile.

Davinci Resolve is free (somehow) and very powerful. I think they make their money from selling fancy editing decks as well as the professional licences.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/
Miscellaneous, tr7v8 liked this
Many thanks for your efforts, @StratoTramp.

I have GoPro player and have managed to successfully create a pan. It seems you are managing to achieve more. I'll have another play with reference to your video.

As you say I found it a PITA.

I'm working on a MAC and have been playing around with the free trial of Final Cut Pro, having previously been using iMovie.

Thanks again. :thumright:
StratoTramp liked this
@StratoTramp I wonder how well rotating the view from say, ahead to behind the aircraft and using the latter as a second camera in the timeline would work. Off to Inverness this morning and a bit of hangar maintenance tomorrow, so I'll have to wait to find out.
By Trent772
Slight drifty here, but linked.

I used to do various YouTube vids under Trent772.

The problem I have is I accumulate huge file sizes and want to be able to cut and delete the dross. iMovie etc just seem to be assemblers, they know where the bits are and fetch them as needed.

Without spending a fortune, is there a simple basic editing system that can chop pieces out and dump the rest ?
By StratoTramp
I have a 4tb external drive I use for the source.

I do have to be disciplined in binning the absolute dross unusable stuff. It is handy to keep some of the source for B-Roll. You can build up a bit of a library and rebuild stuff.

I have to remember to clear the temp file in DaVinci! Basically your video editor is constantly making new mini videos as you work through! This can get quote large quite quickly.
By Miscellaneous
@StratoTramp I had a play this morning with reference to your video. Thanks again. :thumright: As you say it's relatively easy to reframe several times consecutively. I hadn't linked reframes before. In GoPro Player is it possible to cut and delete sections from a single clip retaining other sections for editing (including re framing)?

IE could I delete the first 15 secs, keep and edit from 15 secs to 1min, delete from 1 min to 1,45, edit from 1,45 to 2,15, delete…? :D Or would each of 15secs to 1min, 1.45 to 2.15 have to be edited by starting with the original clip each time?

By StratoTramp
Ah I think you'll have to export several clips then recombine in a separate editor.

DaVinci 17 is free

So steps would be

New project.
File > Import media.
Import clips
Drag them into your timeline on the clip page.

Great tutorials on this guy's page.

Love YouTube enables crazy autodidactism

Did you catch they bit about removing the distortion. If you click on the key frame you have set a box with a slider should come in above it and you should be able to remove some of the fisheye.

Looks like great weather :thumleft:
Miscellaneous liked this