For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
StratoTramp wrote:Saw a police Tesla the other day.

There's one in Cardiff, based a few hundred yards from a friend's house. But they have to take it somewhere else to charge it at the moment! :D

I think it's great. I guess most police cars don't do that many miles a day these days, and it has the acceleration to act as an interceptor!
StratoTramp liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
StratoTramp wrote:Saw a police Tesla the other day.

There's one in Cardiff, based a few hundred yards from a friend's house. But they have to take it somewhere else to charge it at the moment! :D

I think it's great. I guess most police cars don't do that many miles a day these days, and it has the acceleration to act as an interceptor!

Met Police average annual mileage per car (2018 figures) is about 10k, so <30 miles/day … perfect EV territory!
JAFO wrote:Using the Met as a representative example of UK policing is like using a sample of four ice cream vans to make decisions regarding the UK fleet of commercial vehicles.

Fair enough -- that was just because the data were to hand from the Met itself. But even if a more rural force car was to average 35,000 miles/year, that's still <100 miles/day; so very much EV-able.
StratoTramp, JAFO liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I think it's great. I guess most police cars don't do that many miles a day these days, and it has the acceleration to act as an interceptor!

Probably not. They are great up to around the ton and then run out of steam. Before covid a Tesla with ludicrous mode failed to beat a 458 on an eighth mile strip. They ran it a couple of times.............
Related I think to the individual post, how about we give up random and daily lateral flow testing. I suspect we will anyway now we have to pay for them. Be interesting to see if it actually makes any difference.

Interesting to see how much we value our own personal health when we have to financially contribute to it (I know we pay taxes for the NHS but the NHS was not expecting to shell out what it has to keep us all supplied with free testing kits.

FWIW, I think what has been put in place when there was so much uncertainty has been good, but I don’t think it’s sustainable.
StratoTramp, flybymike liked this
I get this with apprentices and grads. Free healthcare!! No you pay for it via taxes....

The phone was Free!! No it's included in the price of the contract! (Usually something silly like £80 a month)

I'm turning into such an old man. Still it's funny to hear them repeat it to others. :lol:

No free lunch.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sooty25 liked this
Milty wrote:how about we give up random and daily lateral flow testing. I suspect we will anyway now we have to pay for them.

Who said we pay for them?

Still free here in North Kent, although some of the stories you hear about people testing everyday despite never leaving home seems a little silly. Some seem to think testing is a cure in itself !!
Milty wrote:Related I think to the individual post, how about we give up random and daily lateral flow testing. I suspect we will anyway now we have to pay for them. Be interesting to see if it actually makes any difference.

Interesting to see how much we value our own personal health when we have to financially contribute to it (I know we pay taxes for the NHS but the NHS was not expecting to shell out what it has to keep us all supplied with free testing kits.

FWIW, I think what has been put in place when there was so much uncertainty has been good, but I don’t think it’s sustainable.

It hasn't been good because what has been put in place has been so contradictory.