For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By lobstaboy
Apparently there are about 3900 tigers left in the wild.
And somewhere between 2000 and 5000 pet tigers in Texas.

So there are almost certainly more pet tigers than wild ones in total in the world.

Is this bad? Or mad?

(Prompted by a snippet in the paper I did a bit of Googling. The numbers in Texas are fairly well established because they have to be registered)
By Loco parentis
On almost the same tack, some years ago there used to be a lion sanctuary on the perimeter of Headcorn airfield. It was said that the parachute school that operated there made sure that when dropping, each sky diver was armed with a large piece of ribeye beef as a lure.
By Boxkite
lobstaboy wrote:Apparently there are about 3900 tigers left in the wild.

So there are almost certainly more pet tigers than wild ones in total in the world.

Not 'almost certainly'; The mean of the estimate of pet tigers is lower the number of wild tigers. Therefore it is more likely there are fewer as pets. Actually, using those numbers, there is only 37% chance that there are more pets than wild.

lobstaboy wrote: The numbers in Texas are fairly well established because they have to be registered)

With an estimated range as wide as 2000-5000 I wouldn't say the figures are well established.

Still, interesting numbers when the figures of wild and pets are not too different.
eltonioni liked this
By Trent772
Siegfried and Roy probably rued the day they got theirs....... :pirat:
By eltonioni
Boxkite wrote:

Not 'almost certainly'; The mean of the estimate of pet tigers is lower the number of wild tigers. Therefore it is more likely there are fewer as pets. Actually, using those numbers, there is only 37% chance that there are more pets than wild.

lobstaboy wrote: The numbers in Texas are fairly well established because they have to be registered)

With an estimated range as wide as 2000-5000 I wouldn't say the figures are well established.

Still, interesting numbers when the figures of wild and pets are not too different.

I have absolutely no idea if this is true or total cobblers but I just wanted to applaud the intellectual effort @Boxkite . Good arrers! :thumleft:
By lobstaboy
There are pet tigers outside Texas. There are 3900 in the wild in the whole world. Sorry. I thought that was clear
By JAFO
lobstaboy wrote:There are pet tigers outside Texas. There are 3900 in the wild in the whole world. Sorry. I thought that was clear

It was to me.
By Bill McCarthy
On the other hand, daft Americans go out “on safari” to Africa, wait until lions and tigers fall asleep under a tree, then shoot them. Cure - take the guns away from them, drop them off by helicopter in the middle of the Serengeti with the message that if they make it to safety, they are free to go. Same treatment for poachers.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:On the other hand, daft Americans go out “on safari” to Africa, wait until lions and tigers fall asleep under a tree, then shoot them. Cure - take the guns away from them, drop them off by helicopter in the middle of the Serengeti with the message that if they make it to safety, they are free to go. Same treatment for poachers.

Not that I understand the desire to kill animals as trophies as a thing to do, but from what I have read about it in passing, I do think there is more to it than that at managed game reserves. Its like the difference between a 50 year old managed woodland on a farm and a piece if land that hasnt had anybody do anything to it in 50 years. They look completely different and usually the first is better for wildlife diversity than the second.

But this isnt really relavent to the number or Tigers in the wild.

On second thought maybe it is, perverse it may be, if there were more properly protected reserves, paid for by really rich americans that want a tiger trophy (where they are directed to shoot the old/weak/sick by game reserve wardens) maybe there would be more of them? Poaching is the problem, not trophy hunters.
By JAFO
If we're allowed to travel the globe choosing which lions or tigers deserve to die for their own good, surely we should reciprocate and give them a morning on Guildford high street to choose a few of our old/weak/sick. For the good of the population.
tr7v8 liked this
By eltonioni
skydriller wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:On the other hand, daft Americans go out “on safari” to Africa, wait until lions and tigers fall asleep under a tree, then shoot them. Cure - take the guns away from them, drop them off by helicopter in the middle of the Serengeti with the message that if they make it to safety, they are free to go. Same treatment for poachers.

Not that I understand the desire to kill animals as trophies as a thing to do, but from what I have read about it in passing, I do think there is more to it than that at managed game reserves. Its like the difference between a 50 year old managed woodland on a farm and a piece if land that hasnt had anybody do anything to it in 50 years. They look completely different and usually the first is better for wildlife diversity than the second.

But this isnt really relavent to the number or Tigers in the wild.

On second thought maybe it is, perverse it may be, if there were more properly protected reserves, paid for by really rich americans that want a tiger trophy (where they are directed to shoot the old/weak/sick by game reserve wardens) maybe there would be more of them? Poaching is the problem, not trophy hunters.

Shooting something the size of a Mini Metro while upwind with a sniper rifle and telescopic sight doesn't seem much like a sport. It doesn't seem like much in the way of species preservation either, more of a cull.
JAFO liked this
By Paultheparaglider
I blame my parents and their generation. If they hadn't succumbed to all that advertising inducing them to stick tigers in their car fuel tanks tigers might not be an endangered species.
By lobstaboy
eltonioni wrote:
Boxkite wrote:

I have absolutely no idea if this is true or total cobblers but I just wanted to applaud the intellectual effort @Boxkite . Good arrers! :thumleft:

Not really. I'd say it demonstrates a poor understanding of how numbers work.
Look:
How many pet tigers do you think there are in Texas?
- is it between 2 and 5? No, it isn't.
- between 20 and 50? No.
- 200 and 500? No.
- 2000 and 5000? Yes. So it's of the same order of magnitude as the number of wild tigers - which is in the same range and isn't, for example, between 20000 and 50000.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:If we're allowed to travel the globe choosing which lions or tigers deserve to die for their own good, surely we should reciprocate and give them a morning on Guildford high street to choose a few of our old/weak/sick. For the good of the population.

'Ang on! Why did you choose Guildford?! :D

Two lions walking down Guildford High Street. One turns to the other and says, "Not many people around for a Saturday afternoon."

Paultheparaglider wrote:I blame my parents and their generation. If they hadn't succumbed to all that advertising inducing them to stick tigers in their car fuel tanks tigers might not be an endangered species.

Tigers?

kanga, JAFO liked this