For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
If the Twitterati are to be believed then this spike as recorded on a Davis Weatherstation in my office on Saturday is the pressure wave caused by the eruption 10,353 miles away in Sussex.

Not sure if the volatility immediately afterwards is related or not.

By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Are we going to get more of this?

Must admit I thought it was subsea. Should actually read the story.

Trying to find that more recent one that phonetically sounded like eye - a - fat - ah - yer - del.

But can't spell it lol! :lol:
By Bill McCarthy
I often fear of an earthquake of a magnitude of the 2011 Japanese one off the east coast of New Zealand say, from the Chatham Islands. It would wipe out most of the vast expanse that is the Canterbury Plains. The forces involved are beyond imagination.
By VRB_20kt
Being approximately on the opposite side of the world to the Tonga event, the UK would be close to the focal point for any pressure wave that emanated from it. It would be interesting to compare the period of the disturbances after the main event with the time taken for sound to circumnavigate the earth.
By eltonioni
What happens to the barometer where the clockwise wave meets the anticlockwise wave, does it just go all wibbly wobbly, does one cancel out the other, or is there a massive bang? My brain's not big enough to riddle it out.
By VRB_20kt
eltonioni wrote:What happens to the barometer where the clockwise wave meets the anticlockwise wave, does it just go all wibbly wobbly, does one cancel out the other, or is there a massive bang? My brain's not big enough to riddle it out.

The pressure wave expands from the source and is at its weakest about half way around the globe. It continues on and in principle gets stronger until it reaches the point exactly opposite the initial bang. Fortunately there are losses on the way round so the focal point doesn't get the full force of the primary explosion (which in this instance was likely to be many times the force of Hiroshima)
By rikur_
Colonel Panic wrote:If the Twitterati are to be believed then this spike as recorded on a Davis Weatherstation in my office on Saturday is the pressure wave caused by the eruption 10,353 miles away in Sussex.

Not sure if the volatility immediately afterwards is related or not.

Interesting ...... is that at 19:20? Less distinct on mine, but a small ~ 1hPa at that time.
By Colonel Panic
rikur_ wrote:Interesting ...... is that at 19:20? Less distinct on mine, but a small ~ 1hPa at that time.

Here is a zoom in on the initial spike @ 19:15 UTC.

By GAFlyer4Fun
Paul_Sengupta wrote:And now Hunga Tonga-Hunga Haʻapai.

Who names these things? Is there a volcano in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?

I think you have seen the movie of the man that went up a hill and came down a mountain.....
just gone up an order of magnitude for the sequel.... and went up a mountain and came down a volcano. :lol:
By Charles Hunt
StratoTramp wrote:
Charles Hunt wrote:StratoTramp:

Eyafjallajokul

or similar.

That's easy for you to say :lol:

Only once I'd heard a local say it.

Aya feeallah yokel