For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have installed a wi-fi camera in my garage :
It is right on the limit of wifi coverage and is a bit slow. and drops out from time to time:

Many years ago Stevelup recommended a mains passthrough extender for our very long solid old house after wireless wifi extenders were cr ap and it worked a treat: The make was Solway but sadly in the house move upheaval five years ago one of the two plug in elements has been lost.

I've done the best I can jiggling the router and it seems it's the distance not the walls which are timber/cladding that is the problem.(12 metres)

I've done a search and PT Link with various model numbers comes up repeatedly. I guess technology has advanced since my clunky Solway system.

So can any kind person please recommend a suitable mains pass through extender (the garage is on the same mains circuit board as the rest of the house, just set apart) that will boost the signal to my Ring camera.

(Pls don't try and sell me other cameras - Ring suits my set up just fine :lol: :roll: )

TIA
Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just whatever was at Currys at the time. I could scrabble round behind cupboards to find out if you like, but no science went into choosing it, I just grabbed a box off the shelf.

Best wait until Steve turns up.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Milty
Shame you didn’t say before - I threw 2 away a couple of weeks ago having installed BT Complete Wi-Fi disc jobs. They were TP links but not sure which ones. Just go with whatever Amazon comes up with.

Or think about a mesh disc system. Works well for us to get Wi-Fi across the whole house.
By riverrock
There are standards that almost all the powerline adapters follow, so you can mix and match brands.

I would say - most don't mesh - so allow seamless transfer of connection between them. Means that if you walk around your house, your mobile phone won't seamlessly connect to the nearest / best signal ( most will eventually disconnect from one and reconnect with another but different phones handle this better than others).
Probably not an issue for you, but frustrating for others.

Devolo and TPLink are about the same quality in my experience.
By MikeB
I had BT discs/Mesh but they they were rubbish inside my stone cottage and wifi coverage was non-existent in the Summerhouse (15 m away). However TP link worked fine throughout the house and even when routed via external armoured cable to the Summerhouse and Garage (the latter 50m away).
By skydriller
riverrock wrote:I would say - most don't mesh - so allow seamless transfer of connection between them. Means that if you walk around your house, your mobile phone won't seamlessly connect to the nearest / best signal ( most will eventually disconnect from one and reconnect with another but different phones handle this better than others).
Probably not an issue for you, but frustrating for others.

This.

And they generally dont auto disconnect/connect if there is still a weak signal from one or the other, which means things slow down.
Have you considered a mesh system, instead of a single extender or a mains system? It works for me on an oldish 3 floor house on a long thin strip of land that I like to have wifi throughout.

My system is a Tenda Nova MW6, and from your description I can't think of any good reason it wouldn't suit your needs. I'm on a plot roughly 50m long by 9m wide, and with three units (master in the front room, 1st slave against rear wall, 2nd slave halfway down the garden inside a greenhouse with power) I have good enough wifi to videoconference throughout the volume.

G