For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
A 4 today, and the streak is maintained

Rob P
TonyC liked this
By Miscellaneous
I was gobsmacked to get it in 2 this morning having only managed a single incorrectly placed letter on the first go. Nice way to round off my first 7 days.

I've decided once I manage to get it in 1,2,3,4,5,6, I'll chuck it. :lol:

Rob P, JAFO liked this
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In 3 again today. Streak not good as missed the odd day but got all of the ones I’ve tried so far, mostly in 3 or 4. Tears is my current preferred starting word.
By eltonioni
nallen wrote:Indeed, using obscure words gets right up my nares.

At least you don't mump about it. :thumleft:
By MikeB
Suggest henceforth, we all start with the same word to reduce the variation of luck (slightly). How about FLYER?
By TrickyWoo
MikeB wrote:Suggest henceforth, we all start with the same word to reduce the variation of luck (slightly). How about FLYER?

Not sure - I think Y is too rare and it only has one vowel. PLEAS has worked last 8 days even though no matching letters today. Also has the common S
By MikeB
There's loads of words that would be 'better' than FLYER (PILOT for example - sorry Ian!), but the advantage is it would make the game more challenging and level the playing field.
By TrickyWoo
in which case iotisation could be your friend (i.e. i becomes y). This is the reason Russian has more vowels than we do - a eh ee oh oo but also the matching vowels with a y sound before them when pronounced giving ya ye yee yo and yoo). (YA is written as the familiar backwards English R and it is also the Russian perpendicular personal pronoun)

MYTHS?
kanga liked this
By kanga
TrickyWoo wrote:in which case iotisation could be your friend (i.e. i becomes y) and also the reason Russian has more vowels than we do ..

<continuing linguist nerdish drift :oops: >

.. or be like Arabic or Hebrew, and normally don't bother to write the (short) vowels, because they are either obvious or unimportant from the consonantal context. Which is fine until their scripts are used for other, non-Semitic, languages where the vowels do matter, such as IEs (Farsi, Urdu, Bengali, Kurdish, .. even Albanian in the Ottoman era) or Turkics (Ottoman, pre-Soviet Azeri, Kazakh, Kirghiz, ..) written in adapted Arabic script, or Yiddish/Ladino in Hebrew script.

</>
Last edited by kanga on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrickyWoo liked this