For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By JAFO
I've popped back to Wordle now and then but today's was my last.

Even if you guessed the last four letters there were still 11 possible first letters, seven of them making very common words. What's the point of that?
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:I've popped back to Wordle now and then but today's was my last.

Even if you guessed the last four letters there were still 11 possible first letters, seven of them making very common words. What's the point of that?

You're just rubbish at it - I got it in 2 :lol: Largely because 'it' was on my mind :mrgreen:
kanga, JAFO liked this
By T6Harvard
kanga wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:...I got it in 2 :lol: Largely because 'it' was on my mind :mrgreen:

Not being a Wordler, I can have fun imagining what 'it' might be :)

See my thread on what instrument to buy to assist with Nav...... (surely it's too late for my clue to be a spoiler :) )
JAFO liked this
By Smaragd
JAFO wrote:I've popped back to Wordle now and then but today's was my last.

My dictionary only gives 10. And surely if your selections have been efficient, by the time you have the last 4 you must have eliminated quite a few of the 10. I had the last 4 after 4 tries, with 3 possibilities for the first, so success in 6 was certain.
By Rob P
It's a game. Some you win, some you lose.

Rob P
By JAFO
Smaragd wrote:My dictionary only gives 10. And surely if your selections have been efficient, by the time you have the last 4 you must have eliminated quite a few of the 10. I had the last 4 after 4 tries, with 3 possibilities for the first, so success in 6 was certain.

I am sorry that you have a sub-standard dictionary but if my selections had been efficient I would have been none the wiser as you are not going to eliminate 11 possible starting letters, particularly as you could have already correctly placed 2 of them and would have no idea that either of them could also appear at the start. That makes it far more about chance than choice.

@Rob P - I didn't say that I lost, I said that I didn't like the answer.

Still no FLYER Club Member in my signature, must sort that out.
By Smaragd
JAFO - sorry, I misinterpreted your message. When you said you had guessed the last four I assumed that you had also placed them correctly to know that they were the last four - which is where I was.
JAFO liked this
By Rob P
JAFO wrote:@Rob P - I didn't say that I lost, I said that I didn't like the answer.

Nor did I imply you had lost, simply that it is a mixture of brainpower and luck and that on some days it will leave you with random guessing. :D

I still drift by most days despite the phone gremlins wrecking my streak.

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By eltonioni
Phew, I dipped out after 5 days so is it over? Did the New York Times get their money's worth?
By BobD
Failed today after a 52 day streak. Had the last 4 letters in the correct order by the 3rd attempt. The next 3 attempts all failed, because the answer could be one of several. Words like that make it a guessing game instead of a logic puzzle. Grrrrr :(
By Rob P
BobD wrote:Failed today after a 52 day streak.

The new champion (as far as we know)

Shame about the streak.

Rob P
By MikeB
BobD wrote:Failed today after a 52 day streak. Had the last 4 letters in the correct order by the 3rd attempt. The next 3 attempts all failed, because the answer could be one of several. Words like that make it a guessing game instead of a logic puzzle. Grrrrr :(

Faced with that situation (as I also was today), I use a word that contains as many of the potential missing letters as possible for my next guess.
By T6Harvard
As above, just slot in a few of the potential letters in one go to eliminate them. Only resorted to that twice.

Played 61, got 61. (Although apparent 'Streak' ruined by the swapover).
MikeB, Rob P liked this
By Milty
Played 62, won 62. 56 day streak. Seems to have been easier recently. 23 in 3. 24 in 4.
T6Harvard liked this