For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paultheparaglider
kanga wrote:

> ah, now I (not a Wordler) know what the word was. I reckon that for most usage by
> most Americans it would not be thought of as a Proper Noun, because of this sense.

I suspect the patriarch of America's number one cartoon family might beg to differ. :wink:
kanga liked this
By Rob P
MikeB wrote:
>
> Or a referee at Anfield :wink:

Presumably a chavball reference, but way over my head I am afraid. :(

Rob P
By Cessna571
JAFO wrote:
> in baseball, a
> hit that allows the batter to make a complete circuit of the bases.

The word was in their “mini crossword” the day before with this definition.

Their “mini” crossword from the menu on the wordle page is quite good, though sometimes a bit left field, and never takes more than 3 to 4 minutes!
By Rob P
Two different correct answers today after a contentious word was withdrawn mid-play.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:
> Two different correct answers today after a contentious word was withdrawn
> mid-play.
>
> Rob P

The 'A' word rearing its US contentious head.................... :roll:
Welcome to the Twentieth Century.

One of the few examples widely in the UK of a digraph (truly a ligature) succumbing to our transatlantic cousins' linguistic tampering..

I have to admit professionally to this failing too, but I stick by oesophagus , amoeba, phoenix and diarrhoea............................ :lol:

Nuts really as foetus comes from the Latin 'fetus'.
kanga liked this
By kanga
PeteSpencer wrote:
> .. a digraph (truly a ligature) succumbing
> to our transatlantic cousins' linguistic tampering..
>
> .. I stick by oesophagus ,
> amoeba, phoenix and diarrhoea............................ :lol:

and oedema, oestrogen, anaesthetic, .. :)

I hope it is still true that in medical terminology as in other things, where 'American' spellings differ from British, anglophone Canadian usage officially and commonly favours the British. This was certainly true in the '60s :thumright: . So 'transatlantic' needs the further gloss of 'South of 49th' (or, to use a more succinct Canadian term, 'rebel' :) ); or, more generally, 'British' means 'anglophone outside USA'
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:

> I hope it is still true that in medical terminology as in other things, where
> 'American' spellings differ from British, anglophone Canadian usage officially and
> commonly favours the British. This was certainly true in the '60s :thumright:

In the early 60s I indeed used the spelling favoured by the old boys in tweed jackets with leather patched elbows sitting in their College garrets in Arnold's 'City of dreaming spires' .

However by 1970 needs and speed and common, frequent usage dictated that the 'o' was lost for ever this word only......................... :roll:
>
By kanga
Rob P wrote:
> Two different correct answers today after a contentious word was withdrawn
> mid-play.
>
> Rob P

deemed newsworthy by BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61339177

[and now I know what the contentious word was; obviously I favour the proper, British (or 'everywhere except US'), ligature, spelling :) ISTR using the related adjective in a pathology report in Canada, and our US doctor querying it to the amusement of his Canadian and UK colleagues :wink: ]
By Flyingfemme
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
> O tempura!
>
> O smores!

Mmmmmmmm.......s’mores