For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheKentishFledgling wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:
TopCat wrote:3 today.

Dammit. I so didn't want to get into this. :(

:lol:

@kanga how much more difficult would it be to find a 6 letter word?! What would be a fair number of guesses?

Download the app and you can try it!

Uh-huh, it's taken me too long to get some of the 5 letter ones :oops:
JAFO liked this
By Paultheparaglider
T6Harvard wrote:
Uh-huh, it's taken me too long to get some of the 5 letter ones :oops:

From watching the TV programme @PeteSpencer mentioned above, I think the four letter words are harder than the five letter ones because you get less chance to guess letters which help solve the word, but also because some four letter words have so many alternative solutions that you only get there by luck sometimes.

By the same token, I think six letter words should be less difficult to solve than five letter ones.
T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
5 today with one line stupidly wasted.

8/8

Rob P
By kanga
T6Harvard wrote:..

@kanga how much more difficult would it be to find a 6 letter word?! What would be a fair number of guesses?

I am not a mathematician. But as a cruciverbalist, I'd have guessed that the absolute increase in complexity would be mitigated by the greater number of clues from the common patterns of letters in English words.

[I've never played the game, but am familiar with the antecedent game involving different coloured pegs. The basic (physical) game had 4 pegs permuted from 6 possible colours with repeats allowed, but I suspect I'm not the only one who programmed an early computer to play with more. No pattern was essentially more likely nor more unlikely than any other, but letter patterns in words have far fewer possibilities, the possibilities typically shrinking with word length]
T6Harvard liked this
By avtur3
kanga wrote:... But as a cruciverbalist ....

Well, I had to look that up ... so I am definitely a lost cause :lol:
By JAFO
Took all 6 again today, so I'm just about keeping my head above water but am distinctly unimpressive.
Grelly liked this
By MikeB
I presume there's an optimum word to repeatedly choose for the 1st guess. I don't apparently know it.
JAFO liked this
By JAFO
MikeB wrote:I presume there's an optimum word to repeatedly choose for the 1st guess. I don't apparently know it.

I've been using SKATE as it has several of the most common letters in English. However, it would seem that this is not a good word to start with because it seems to take me 6 goes most times.
By kanga
the commonest 8 letters in English (British or US variety!) are in SENORITA. Any subset of these, arguably better if E is included (eg RESIN, SNARE), would be good if target word is 'typical' vocabulary. However, as I've never played the game, I have no idea whether setter chooses slightly or very unusual words.
TopCat, JAFO, MikeB liked this
By Paultheparaglider
kanga wrote:the commonest 8 letters in English (British or US variety!) are in SENORITA.

In a new politically correct world to avoid being accused of sexism it might be better to use NOTARIES. :wink:
MikeB, Charles Hunt liked this