For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well, I'm not known for a sunny , optimistic view of the world, nor for being a fan of this administration, but, in the last 2 weeks.

1) I have renewed my shortly to expire photocard driving licence on-line with the DVLA and received my new licence by post within 2 weeks as promised, despite the Xmas holidays.

2) Having applied on-line as soon as I could, (4 months before state pension age), I have received my first state pension payment into my bank account from the Pension Service, on the date promised, and for the amount predicted.

Well done both.

(I think, that having read about serious delays with both services, I had been preparing for disappointment. The key to the rapid responses may have been the fact that I used the on-line applications. If anyone is looking for help and advice on how to apply for these services, I would recommend the on-line approach.
See what I did there :D ).
By avtur3
Thanks for that Dodo, I am approaching my 66th birthday at the end of March so your comment about your pension application is great to hear. The recent experience of a couple of friends is that they have received their 'invitation' from DWP to apply for their pension at 3 months before their 66th birthday.

I had set a deadline that if my invitation had not arrived by 1st Jan I would initiate the application myself. I applied on-line and must admit the process was quite straightforward. Although I was previously registered with Government Gateway, I had to register with a newer system called Gov.UK/Verify in order to make my application but, to be fair, it all worked as it should.

So, I have received confirmation of my application and await the final confirmation of payment dates from DWP. I too am aware that some folks have reported delays to pension payments but the people I know have not experienced any problems themselves. I'm hoping the problem free system extends to my payments.

Ironically, the invitation from DWP arrived in the post the day after I made my application on line.

As a result of registering with Gov.UK/Verify I became aware of other on line services that are available, a search through my recent tax code allocations revealed some very helpful information for some planning that I'm doing around pension income, part time work and tax codes

So, I'd have to agree with Dodo, experience of government systems on-line has been quite favourable.
kanga, Dodo liked this
By MikeE
Charles Hunt wrote:On the advice of my learned friend I have re-read the info, turns out it's 9am to 3:59 am. Do we all turn into pumpkins at 4am?

Those of us with bus passes are, apparently, known as 'twirlies'. This, I am reliably informed, is because holders are to be found at bus stops at least 10 minutes before the start time clutching their passes and optimistically enquiring "are we twirly?"

Regards

Mike
Charles Hunt liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:Must dig mine out and use it: Never used it at all: Prob expired long ago.............

Our LA, unsolicited, sent us new passes about a month before the previous ones expired :thumright:

[Here, the first 'buses after 0930 at our nearest stop tend to be fairly full, with nearly all passengers using passes. Thereafter it's usually easy to get a seat. Since Covid started I've used them only to return from car service centre, and then to return to collect the car; journey both ways involving a change of 'buses and short walk between in the town centre. System is excellent :) ]
Charles Hunt wrote:Used mine to fill in time whilst the 'bike was having its MoT.

Everything seems to happen very slowly.

You mean a bus is slower than a Ducati? :wink:

Forty years ago, the idea of getting on a bus when I had a nice bike in the garage would have been unthinkable. But, when I wake up on a cold and frosty morning and remember all those long treks up and down the M4 with stops at services to thaw out frozen hands under the hot water taps, followed by crawling into bed once home fully clothed and still having cold knees the next morning, a nice warm bus does have a certain appeal.
kanga liked this
By avtur3
Dodo wrote: .... If anyone is looking for help and advice on how to apply for these government services, I would recommend the on-line approach.
See what I did there :D ).

I've just found another government service on-line, which again appears to work well. I've often heard people talk about the 'marriage allowance' , I understood what it was but never thought it relevant to us. Somehow, I was missing the point that Mrs A has been absent for the 'normal' workforce for nigh on the last 4 years. She gave up normal paid employment to provide 24/7 care for her mum who moved in with us, nearly 4 years ago. Since M-i-L passed away last April, Mrs A has used her time to look after our grandson which enables our daughter to return to work as a teacher. This leads to her not using her available tax allowance, so she has applied for marriage allowance which transfers £1260 of her allowance to me, a normal rate tax payer, and so shaving approx £250 per year off my tax liability.

When this allowance was first introduced apparently it could only be claimed for by phone, but now it can be applied for on-line, and it is quite straightforward.
kanga liked this
By avtur3
cotterpot wrote:@avtur3
And Mrs A may be eligible for NI credits for the childcare if you weren't aware.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... fact-sheet

Many thanks for that @cotterpot, that is soemthing we're jut looking into. Mrs A has already maxed out her contributions in respect of pension, i.e. more contributions will not result in an increased pension. However, not sure if there are other matters to consider.

Many thanks :thumleft: