For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trent772 wrote:There are also Parliamentary Trains.
:
I asked the Guard and he said it was a required train that ran twice a day.

It's not just Parliamentary Trains which do this sort of thing. If you look at:

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/stations-destinations/route-map

You'll see that there are trains which wind their way across the country over long distances, sometimes only a couple of times a day.

Britain's longest train journey goes from Aberdeen to Penzance.

kanga wrote:analogously, there are 'ghost' "rail replacement 'bus services".

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

There's also a bus replacement rail service.

And while we're at it, speaking of personal rail services...

OCB, Trent772, eltonioni and 1 others liked this
By OCB
@Paul_Sengupta - the meaning of life/the universe & everything was explained on form 27b/6....

(I imagine a fair percentage of the parish will be lost by that one)....but, tbh - I'm all for getting Douglas Adams to answer for his own silly quotes....
kanga, StratoTramp liked this
By Trent772
kanga wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..

.. and probably stops in Cheltenham :)

Why would it......

Nowt to see :mrgreen:
By kanga
Trent772 wrote:
kanga wrote:

..Why would it......

Nowt to see ..

I wish you both salubritas and, on this topic, also eruditio

[Borough motto: Salubritas et Eruditio ("Health and Education") ]

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ms.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheltenham

https://www.visitcheltenham.com/

.. but as explained to me once by a railway nerd colleague (I am not one):

the reason for passing through Cheltenham is that the legacy GWR line between Birmingham and Bristol is forced by the Cleeve escarpment on one side and the river Severn on the other to do so; while the reason to stop, at least Southbound, is that the next railway feature to the South is Gloucester which trains can either bypass (as most of the longdistance ones do) or enter via a triangle and reverse out (as the more local ones do). This not only means that Southbound trains are sometimes held at Cheltenham if there are delays to others on the triangle, or passengers to/from Gloucester (and the South Wales line beyond it) or the Swindon line via Stroud and Kemble can alight/join the North-South longdistance service in Cheltenham.

So (as often ?) blame/praise both geography and I K Brunel :wink:
Trent772 liked this
By JAFO
@kanga - The Cleeve Escarpment - marvellous, I shall add that to my mental list of names to adore: Scotch Corner, Nempnett Thrubwell, Snake Pass, The Great North Road and so on. :D

However, it could be the name of a book by Dan Brown so I will mentally write the name in pencil.
kanga liked this
By NickS
My late wife was a director of one of the rail companies for a few years. One of the kids had read about directors having their own private train and even a branch line and station and wanted to know why we didn’t have one. My then grungy gothy teenage daughter used to wind up the pin-stripe brigade by using her first class rail pass and waiting for one of them to challenge her about her entitlement to use “their” carriage.
By Cessna571
NickS wrote:My late wife was a director of one of the rail companies for a few years. One of the kids had read about directors having their own private train and even a branch line and station and wanted to know why we didn’t have one. My then grungy gothy teenage daughter used to wind up the pin-stripe brigade by using her first class rail pass and waiting for one of them to challenge her about her entitlement to use “their” carriage.

My nephew has a first class pass due to his fathers occupation.

He’s been told to move a few times, once by a ticket inspector before even asking him if he had a ticket.
He used to get the train to school, so was in school uniform.
By Cessna571
Trent772 wrote:
kanga wrote:

Why would it......

Nowt to see :mrgreen:

I’ve been on that train numerous times when I was young. Once we even tried a sleeper compartment. That’s a misnomer.

Penzance is a strange place, but I do love it, it’s where the Scillonian departs from.

I’m older and I drive there now though.