For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Cessna571
What’s interesting is all the naysayers saying “ambulances were not blocked”.

Then one of the actual convictions is a woman standing in front of an Ambulance and refusing to move.

A 68 year old woman.

Isn’t that horrid? She has family I presume.
I genuinely don’t understand why someone would block an ambulance.

I’ve experienced some trouble at football matches, and I’d label some of the hooligans who did that quite scummy people.

Doubt they’d block ambulances though.
By kanga
kanga wrote:
> ..
>
> "Edward Colston statue case sent to Court of Appeal"
> (Attorney General seeking Court guidance)
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-61081824
> ..

Prosecution of XR protester suspended pending Appeal Court guidance:

"Extinction Rebellion co-founder's trial delayed by Colston review"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-61154538

Possibly pertinent: lawyer for alleged Everton pitch invader says 'the issues in the case would be sections of the Human Rights Act and "duress of circumstances". '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-61143100

Also slightly topically: on Sunday I recorded from BBC4 the Scottish Opera production of 'The Gondoliers' (in which, incidentally, Giuseppe was being sung by Mark Nathan, son of Timothy, late of this parish). Like many G&S satirical operas, one of the patter songs lends itself to insertion of topical allusions into the standard lyrics. In The Goldoliers it's "To help unhappy commoners" in Act II.

Anyway, I've just watched the recording. There was an insert with an allusion to XR, which raised an audience laugh :wink:
By Cessna571
Interesting new development.

They’ve dug a tunnel under a road with the idea of it collapsing when a lorry drives over it.

Five arrests.

Putting drivers at risk blah blah blah.

I’m wondering how long before one of them does a 9/11, that stopped flying for a while didn’t it?

The narrative has changed again if they are actively trying to hurt people now.

XR : Not nice people and proud of it.
By Rob P
Here's possibly another non-crime

"About 35 supporters of the Just Stop Oil campaign staged blockades at the Cobham services in Surrey and the Clacket Lane services in Kent, both on the M25, smashing the display glass on petrol pumps with hammers and defacing them with spray paint"

Rob P
By Cessna571
Rob P wrote:
> Here's possibly another non-crime
>
> "About 35 supporters of the Just Stop Oil campaign staged blockades at
> the Cobham services in Surrey and the Clacket Lane services in Kent, both
> on the M25, smashing the display glass on petrol pumps with hammers and
> defacing them with spray paint"
>
> Rob P

They sound like nice people don’t they?

I’ve now lost all faith in our police farce that stood and watched.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:

>
> "About 35 supporters of the Just Stop Oil campaign staged blockades at
> the Cobham services in Surrey and the Clacket Lane services in Kent, both
> on the M25, smashing the display glass on petrol pumps with hammers and
> defacing them with spray paint"
>

Bloody hell. I'm probably at the more tolerant end of the scale than most here when it comes to - peaceful - protest that causes inconvenience. And I do support the climate change cause, while at the same time being aware of a degree of hypocrisy in still flying. I've burned about 20 tons of AvGas in 30 years, although I hardly drive, and I don't have kids.

But smashing up other people's stuff I do not support at all. There's got to be a better way than that.
By kanga
Sooty25 wrote:
> .., the service
> station owners should then bring a civil claim against them ..

hmm.. civil litigation against people who may have few assets may cost claimants far more in legal costs than they have any hope of recovering even if they 'win' .. :?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLibel_case
johnm liked this
By Cessna571
Sooty25 wrote:
> Assuming plod turned up and arrested them for criminal damage.

:lol:

Errr… why would plod do that?
Plod did take pictures to share on their social media groups though.

Apparently one of them had very nice legs and a short skirt.
By Sooty25
kanga wrote:
> Sooty25 wrote:
> > .., the service
> > station owners should then bring a civil claim against them ..
>
> hmm.. civil litigation against people who may have few assets may cost claimants far
> more in legal costs than they have any hope of recovering even if they 'win' .. :?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLibel_case

To bankrupt them completely, and serve as a warning to others intend on vandalism. I' m sure BP/Esso/Shell or whoever have an internal legal team that can do it in their spare time.
By Rob P
They'd just refuse to pay and be sent to prison briefly becoming martyrs to the 'cause'

Rob P
By Cessna571
Rob P wrote:
> They'd just refuse to pay and be sent to prison briefly becoming martyrs to
> the 'cause'
>
> Rob P

Or their backers pay for them, remember it’s a whole organisation, not just some children.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
History is full of people behaving in manners incomprehensible to 'non-believers' for what is to them their just cause.

Society meanders and continues to flow through the changing tectonic plates, and later on reflecting it shakes it head at either the behaviours of those seeking change or those resisting it.

It was always thus.
kanga, TopCat, Rob P liked this