For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By JAFO
Are there any legal eagles on the forum who can explain to me how damaging a statue, toppling it and throwing it in the water is not criminal damage?

There are a few things that I don't much like or agree with which I am looking forward to pushing into the sea. What may I now go out and destroy with impunity now this precedent has been set?
StratoTramp, Charles Hunt, Supercat and 1 others liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It matters not what the legal eagles think, the jury decided in this context :D
kanga liked this
By JAFO
johnm wrote:It matters not what the legal eagles think, the jury decided in this context :D

I understand that, John. What I don't understand is how, that's what I was looking for clarification on.
By Cessna571
JAFO wrote:
johnm wrote:It matters not what the legal eagles think, the jury decided in this context :D

I understand that, John. What I don't understand is how, that's what I was looking for clarification on.

You are aware they were tried in Bristol I presume?

You do know about Bristol I presume?
StratoTramp liked this
By rogerb
As with the anti war folk found not guilty a few years ago of breaking into warton to damage tornados it seems strongly held beliefs permit damage, inconvenience to the public and expenditure of public funds.
By StratoTramp
When you don't get caught.

Total agree though - reductive baying vandalism. Loathe anything which has a mob.

But also Bristol. Almost as bad as Brighton. :lol:
Last edited by StratoTramp on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By chevvron
Cessna571 wrote:That’s EXACTLY what I was just wondering.

There’s a statue of Maggie Thatcher we could go after.

Miners Lives Matter?

There’s no way we wouldn’t be prosecuted though.

That well known terrorist Nelson Mandela has a statue in London; will 'equality' mean this has to be treated in the same way?
(Read this quick otherwise the mods will delete it)
By PeteSpencer

Very good reason for the occasional trial without jury:

Or trial in a town far far away from Bristol.

The result was inevitable.
Supercat liked this
By avtur3
JAFO wrote:

It can only mean that of the 12 people chosen for the jury in this case then (at least) a majority have very different set of values to you, and probably many others looking on at this case. I can only imagine that it will take very many more similarly 'odd' verdicts before there is the slightest chance of a revue of our legal system.
kanga liked this
By johnm
I think our legal system works extremely well overall and juries are there precisely because they bring the views of the common man into court. There may well be the odd anomaly but it's about whether people feel justice as opposed to law is served well or not.

Had they been found guilty then they would have swiftly become martyrs and the cause would have received an injection of fuel. As it is there's now some opportunity for debate and even reconciliation, whether that is well taken remains to be seen.

For Bristol a good outcome full of opportunity and I shall continue to watch the local news with interest.
Last edited by johnm on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanga, lobstaboy, Micromouse liked this
By Rob P
Cessna571 wrote:There’s a statue of Maggie Thatcher we could go after.

You seem to forget that Ms Thatcher has been elevated to the sainthood of the eco lobby on account of her early actions to close down the planet-damaging coal mines.

Though you'd be hard pressed to find an ecowarrior that would dare admit it.

Miners' Lives Matter.

Indeed they should. The closure of the deep pit mines must have saved dozens from an early death, or a protracted one later.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flyin'Dutch', StratoTramp, eltonioni and 2 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
avtur3 wrote:It can only mean that of the 12 people chosen for the jury in this case then (at least) a majority have very different set of values to you, and probably many others looking on at this case. I can only imagine that it will take very many more similarly 'odd' verdicts before there is the slightest chance of a revue of our legal system.

That is what you get, when a jury of 12 good men and women and true, decides on legal manners.

:shock:

Maybe no further odd verdicts are needed if these statues are either put in museums or that their historic context is provided.

I personally have less problems with historic statues than people who hold pre-historic views.
johnm, A le Ron, kanga and 1 others liked this