For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Yes.

They are currently used to jam the valve open.

Rob P
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:I have little sympathy for the 'protestors' attacking chelsea tractors, it's pointless and probably owes more to envy than to wanting to improve the lot of the planet. But I feel I must point out they are armed with lentils, not with knives.

Rob P

I asked the question following this report in the torygraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... gle-night/

It may be behind a paywall but basically a group claims to have deflated 100 suvs overnight in Edinburgh last week. The first comment from a victim is that the tyres on her car were slashed. If true it would seem that they are escalating from causing an inconvenience to criminal damage.

And hence my self defence comment
Rob P liked this
By StratoTramp
I find this (lentils) incredibly dumb too. Are all environmental protestors thick? All I see are own goals all the time.

So the Chelsea tractor now sits engine idling, on the drive for 10 minutes - delivering ZERO mpg (DOWN from 20 or whatever) as a compressor is used to pump the tyres back up

They act and think like spoilt toddlers. They must all have Carp parents. :lol:

Like the petrol protests - I still bought the fuel I needed. I just had to drive an extra 30 miles to get it, this releasing more CO2 into the air than usual. :roll:

Undemocratic, zero mandate dummies.
Spooky, Supercat liked this
By Rjk983
StratoTramp wrote:I find this incredibly dumb too. Are all environmental protestors thick? All I see are own goals all the time.

So the Chelsea tractor now sits engine idling, on the drive for 10 minutes - delivering ZERO mpg as a compressor is used to pump the tyres back up

They act and think like spoilt toddlers. They must all have Carp parents.

I think your mistake may be expecting that they are doing this to save the planet. They aren’t, the hardcore at the centre of it all are likely the extreme Marxist/anarchist types that have jumped on the various bandwagons over the years to carry out their class war. Unfortunately they hoover up enough useful idiots who genuinely believe in the ‘cause’ along the way to give a veneer of respectability to their actions. It always seems to be the pensioners and retired vicars who end up in court for the protest, not the central ringleaders.
Cessna571, StratoTramp, Rob P and 6 others liked this
By Cessna571
I was shocked today that the police moved the protestors that broke through the cordon at the Queen’s Jubilee.

All last summer the police were maintaining their role was to protect the protestors and let the public be inconvenienced.

Why did the police not stop the marching band?
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
Was a bit odd to be pleasantly surprised by the response for a change. Animal rebels this time - ate two steaks to balance the inconvenience of the soldiers.

I guess they couldn't have known if they were full blown terrorists or not. But we'll done to them for running into it.

I do try to eat a bit less meat but it's personal choice tbh. These all or nothing controlling freaks are annoying. Everything in moderation.
By squawking 7700
@Cessna571 I was wondering that too - might be worth a few emails/tweets/Facebook posts to our illustrious home secretary and the Met asking for an explanation of the police's double standards in dealing with protesters.

By Mz Hedy
I still can't help feeling sorry for all the wild creatures that have died in the teeth of the mink released by the animal rights activists back in the '90s, and their progeny (I mean the mink).

eg. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/148120.stm
'PC Rob Ellis, from Hampshire Police, warned that other animals - including small dogs and cats - were at risk from being attacked by the mink. "They'll eat anything that moves, and if cornered, they're likely to have a go at humans too," he said. '
By StratoTramp
It is silly, we have the best animal welfare in the world. One of my mates wives works at what was Huntingdon. They have an animal welfare exam, if you fail it you can retake once only... After that you can never take it again for life they take it that seriously. You obviously need the exam for the job.

It's like being struck off as a doctor or vet.
By PeteSpencer
StratoTramp wrote:It is silly, we have the best animal welfare in the world. One of my mates wives works at what was Huntingdon. They have an animal welfare exam, if you fail it you can retake once only... After that you can never take it again for life they take it that seriously. You obviously need the exam for the job.

It's like being struck off as a doctor or vet.

No, it's not............. :wink: :roll:
I worked as an examiner for the GMC for 25years; not in the 'striking off' dept but in the same building and knew many colleagues who did.
By StratoTramp
In that you can not longer pursue your career?

Edit: I suppose it's in how narrowly you define career. But no longer able to work with animals. Doomed to process cultures forever more :lol:
By PeteSpencer
StratoTramp wrote:In that you can not longer pursue your career?

Edit: I suppose it's in how narrowly you define career. But no longer able to work with animals. Doomed to process cultures forever more :lol:

It is possible for a Dr to appeal against being 'struck off',

It is rare but re-instatement happens:

So he/she (they if you insist) would not necessarily be 'banned for life' in practising (sic ; cf Fowler) his/her craft.

If re-instated he/she could pursue his/her career, sometimes with conditions attached. :wink:
StratoTramp liked this