For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dear Team

I want to get someone a small notebook solely for web browsing and watching videos.

Q: Why not a tablet with a keyboard?
A: They will only stay upright on a table or similar stable underground.

Screen size and quality less important.

Max 10" preferably a bit smaller.

OS virtually irrelevant as long as the main tasks can be done.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:..

Q: Why not a tablet with a keyboard?
A: They will only stay upright on a table or similar stable underground.

Cheaper to get, for an already owned tablet which is suitable, a clip-on flexible 'tablet holder' ? One I have has strong clip at one end (for flat surface eg table edge), flexible but very strong (ie, stays put once bent into desired position despite impact of typing on tablet) long 'neck', and a tightenable ball mount wide-jawed clip at the other end to accommodate the narrow side of a tablet. Can't remember the make, but 'clip tablet holder' search yields several examples.
Am very happy with a MS Surface Go + keyboard for just that use profile along with Zoom and lightweight office work. It's basically the same size as a Moleskine notebook and not much heavier.

We also have an iPad which in theory does the same but it has been relegated to Netflix and reading the paper because it's a hateful device when asked to actually do anything productive. Others may have a different opinion but I think they are rubbish.
Flyin'Dutch', seanxair, StratoTramp and 1 others liked this
I use an Amazon Fire 8HD tablet - as the name suggests, the screen is 8 inches, but they also do a 10 inch version. I use it for web browsing, and have watched tv and the occasional film on it. Cheap and cheerful - around £100 to £130. A bluetooth keyboard/folding case is around £20. Very happy with it.

(Although it uses a tweeked version of the Android OS to stop you accessing the various competetive Google apps/Google Play, it's pretty simple to get round this - I simply followed the instructions on YouTube and have Youtube, Google maps, etc running perfectly on it now)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Milty
For just web browsing and YT, I’d stick with a tablet and sort out an appropriate method of supporting it (clip, cover or bean bag). I’m an iPad fan but wouldn’t use one for ‘normal laptop’ work. Great for browsing, email, forum, videos etc.

I’ve got a Surface Pro as my normal laptop. Great bit of kit as small, light and easily portable plus full function like a normal pc. It’s more stable than a tablet but I’d say not as stable as a laptop.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By avtur3
I would say a Chromebook all the way. I use an Acer 'flip' most the time. It has a reversible screen which makes it into a touch screen tablet,. To be honest it gets used as a 'small' laptop nearly all the time.

Chromebook will do everything you're asking without a hitch.

Small format, Chromebook laptop are cheap as chips and will just work for what you are asking.
Milty liked this