For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyingfemme
Loco parentis wrote: Is there, could there be such an item as a quilt cover with a zip closure ? For Heaven's sake ! Any help including manufacturers data sheets gratefully accepted.

Yes - I have a couple. The matching (king sized) pillowcases are also zipped. But the bad news is that I bought them in the US, in one of the more upmarket department stores. Duvets are still not that common in the US, so maybe the received wisdom of button closures is not so ingrained.
Might I suggest a local seamstress?

Just done a quick google and found this https://madebykoa.com/. I'm pretty tempted; it's my most hated job around the house as well.
lobstaboy liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You lot are brilliant fun. I love that 12 buttons on a duvet causes despair to PILOTS ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, have you seen the best way to 'load' duvets into their cases? Trigger Warning - this uses a zipped duvet cover.
Try this ...
By T6Harvard
There is no need to fasten the bottom at all. Just safety pin the top corners through duvet, it'll never budge.
'Bed making for the Lazy' by T6H

Actually I don't mind doing the buttons up. What I DO mind is when you miss one, get to the penultimate button and the last hole, find they are all out of kilter and have to start again. Or is that just me :lol:
kanga liked this
By Cessna571
Once I gave myself permission to take a few minutes doing the buttons, the issue went away.

The problem isn’t the 3 or 4 minutes it takes me to do them, it’s the fact that my wife does them in seconds and I find it frustrating that I can’t.

So, now I simply relax and accept it’ll take a few minutes and it’s fine.

Let’s face it, I then take the dirty ones downstairs, put them in a washing machine that washes and then dries them and gives them back to me in about 3 hours, clean, smelling nice and not even creased (does steam smoothing apparently!) while I read a book or some such, I can’t really complain that it took 3 minutes to do the buttons.

Give yourself permission to be slow at it, you’ll be amazed at the difference.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Cessna571 wrote:Once I gave myself permission to take a few minutes doing the buttons, the issue went away.

Let’s face it, I then take the dirty ones downstairs, put them in a washing machine that washes and then dries them and gives them back to me in about 3 hours, clean, smelling nice and not even creased (does steam smoothing apparently!) while I read a book or some such, I can’t really complain that it took 3 minutes to do the buttons.

Thread drift coming ....

Three hours?? Now that IS patient.

I never have got my head round the so-called 'Eco wash'.
First time I used MiL's wm I was staggered at the time it took. I'd assumed Eco meant it would be a quicker wash :lol: Eventually I found the button to halve the time.

I bet someone posts in a mo pointing out that I am no eco-warrior for doing that, but it made me feel better :mrgreen:
By Loco parentis
Thank you one and all for your recommendations. I feel a lot calmer. Cessna 571 hits a nerve ! Yes, my wife too can almost surgically remove the quilt from the cover before I can ask where is the new loo roll.

One possible remedy that I forgot is the possible use of Velcro as a closure for the cover. Almost immediately when mentioning this, there was much sucking of teeth followed by yes, but what happens if you wear woolly bedsocks or that brand of pyjamas called 'vincyette' or, a slightly hairy vest and knickers ? I can imagine never being able to leave the bed without the quilt snugged around my neck and other parts. Forever locked in association, attached in every meaningful way.

Unless you know to the contrary, I guess that Velcro is a no no.
T6Harvard liked this
By Cessna571
T6Harvard wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:Once I gave myself permission to take a few minutes doing the buttons, the issue went away.

Thread drift coming ....

Three hours?? Now that IS patient.

I never have got my head round the so-called 'Eco wash'.
First time I used MiL's wm I was staggered at the time it took. I'd assumed Eco meant it would be a quicker wash :lol: Eventually I found the button to halve the time.

I bet someone posts in a mo pointing out that I am no eco-warrior for doing that, but it made me feel better :mrgreen:

You know you don’t have to watch it?

My Nan going from a twin tub to automatic.

“It’s ok, and everything, but it takes an hour and a half, I can usually do each load in 8 minutes”.

“Nan, you don’t have to watch it, go and walk the dog or relax”

“Oh…. I see !
It’s like doing 2 things at once.
Wow. ”

That’s not the eco setting on ours, it’s just the “wash and dry” setting, though it is the “cottons hygiene” program, (which apparently is hot for a bit longer, and I do have the “use extra water” setting on, as I do actually like it all to get wet!
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
:lol: :roll:

The trouble is with doing something else.....it always takes eleventy million lots of 'beeps' before I obey the command to go back and empty it. Sometimes, if I leave it long enough, MrT6 is the first to crack :mrgreen:
By Bill McCarthy
On Velcro - a new batch of overalls came in with Velcro as fastening up. Sleeping bags on boats had Velcro “doing up” strips, and as we used to turn in, most of the time in our overalls, when we got up it took some time to wrench ourselves separate from the bag. After four months or so it was the sleeping bag Velcro that gave in. No covers to change - the same bag all the way through the patrols.
By Loco parentis
Perhaps there is no easy or single answer to this domestic emergency. The holes are too small and the buttons too big. Velcro ? As Bill McC confirms above, you might not emerge in a hurry. Press studs ? We do have a quilt with these fitted, they are different but just as fiddly as the buttonholes. Someone, as well as VRB 20kt mentioned making sure that all fastenings are lined up before finally joining. Too right ! Omit that and get twice the grief.
By kanga
lobstaboy wrote:Sheets, blankets, eiderdown.
Not a button or press stud at all...

'hospital corners', I hope :wink: .. as Air Cadets at Camp used to have to do :)

[separate collars requiring studs were still standard uniform issue for Air Cadets when I started as an instructor ~50 years ago. They caused much bewilderment to new recruits, and staff had to take lots of cheap spares to Camp because Cadets had never brought enough to allow for losses.

Oh, and I had to have separate, heavily starched, collars in secondary school uniform :? ]