For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Loco parentis
Am I alone in thinking that manufacturers have shrunk the size of their buttonholes ? Shirts in particular present the utmost in convoluted twisting and turning until after some considerable time buttons make their entry, but then, only after inserting the plastic body of a Bic or other type ball point pen into the buttonhole and giving it a shove and a twist thus opening it further.

Trousers are by far the worst. Never again will I be persuaded to wear those with a buttoned fly front. It is demeaning to be fiddling what seems like forever with the front of one's trousers while standing in a mens loo full of other blokes who have arrived seemingly in a bunch and eager to take the #iss.

The buttoned trousers arrived courtesy of my daughter-in-law who bought them for my son who instantly rejected them and passed them onto me. He obviously knew a thing or two - just wish he'd told me.
T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've never understood the rationale for buttoned up flies ... far more faff than a zip, can't see any benefits.

That said, I seem to have a habit of choosing shirts that take cufflinks, where all rational behaviour would be to choose the ones with integral buttons.
Milty liked this
By Milty
rikur_ wrote:I've never understood the rationale for buttoned up flies ... far more faff than a zip, can't see any benefits.

That said, I seem to have a habit of choosing shirts that take cufflinks, where all rational behaviour would be to choose the ones with integral buttons.

If you’ve ever caught little rikur in the zip, you’ll have an appreciation for the button fly. That said, you’ll only do it once :lol: :oops: :doh:
By Milty
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Milty wrote:If you’ve ever caught little rikur in the zip, you’ll have an appreciation for the button fly. That said, you’ll only do it once :lol: :oops: :doh:

Where's the checklist thread...?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Bill McCarthy
Not many today will have had to endure detachable starched shirt collars, held on with a stud at the back and to the front - it would nearly wear a hole in the Adam’s apple.
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
Bill McCarthy wrote:Not many today will have had to endure detachable starched shirt collars, held on with a stud at the back and to the front - it would nearly wear a hole in the Adam’s apple.

Yep: Standard RAF issue for CCF RAF section at school umpty years ago: :wink:

Uniforms supplied/altered to fit skinny teenagers by RAF Oakington stores.

Preferred them to the sackcloth shirts the Army lot had in Basic. :roll:
kanga liked this
By lobstaboy
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Milty wrote:If you’ve ever caught little rikur in the zip, you’ll have an appreciation for the button fly. That said, you’ll only do it once :lol: :oops: :doh:

Where's the checklist thread...?

Somewhere I've come across one. Forces probably - using the alphabet - to check you're dressed properly.
The last part is XYZ for 'examine your zip'.

Anybody know it in full?
By seanxair
Bill McCarthy wrote:Not many today will have had to endure detachable starched shirt collars, held on with a stud at the back and to the front - it would nearly wear a hole in the Adam’s apple.

Five days at Royal Ascot every year when I was working there. Verging on self harm.
By Loco parentis
I know what I'd like to do but, I don't think I'd get away with it. My wife has just issued what is really a command framed as a question: "Isn't it about time you changed the bed ? This is taken to include the quilt/doovay, sheet and pillow cases. It all seems a bit premature. I check; the collective colour doesn't seem quite dark enough yet. Just get on with it Loco. There lies the rub.

The quilt cover is buttoned. Not just a few but twelve of the #uggers. As with all things buttoned, I struggle. My wife, who I subsequently discovered was a former drill sergeant in a penal battalion of the French Foreign Legion is never any help. Her military service came to light because the Registry Office wherein we were joined in holy matrimony was situated in a desert fort called Beau Geste in what was then French North Africa. I know that it was North because my moving map was orientated North Up. I digress.

So far my pitiful pleas have attracted little support. Is there, could there be such an item as a quilt cover with a zip closure ? For Heaven's sake ! Any help including manufacturers data sheets gratefully accepted.