For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Propwash
kanga wrote:[separate collars requiring studs were still standard uniform issue for Air Cadets when I started as an instructor ~50 years ago. They caused much bewilderment to new recruits, and staff had to take lots of cheap spares to Camp because Cadets had never brought enough to allow for losses.

Uniform shirts were separate collars with studs (3 per shirt) when I first joined the Job. I used to have a permanent mark just below my Adams apple from the front stud. I was very glad when they eventually introduced new shirts with fixed collars. :D

PW
By kanga
seanxair wrote:Still got a couple and some studs. Size 15" New & Lingwood. ..

I note their list of outlets: Eton, London and Cambridge (and which is first :) )

[I've also heard that Coutts Bank has or had physical branches in Eton and Camberley (latter for Sandhurst, presumably). I guess this is called 'catching them young' (especially if they're from wealthy families) ]
seanxair liked this
By Loco parentis
I'm not that familiar with separate collars and studs but, they seem like an excellent idea with first rate utility. Despite washing my neck frequently every week, I'm seriously impressed by the depth and colour of my shirt neckband which seemingly varies in keeping with my various exertions. Mild sweating produces a warm khaki glow settled within the shirt fibres, while carrying a woven raffia basket full of coal up three flights of stairs at the rear of my tenement produces - as one might expect - a richly pigmented ochre plus a satisfying overlay of black colour thread. I try to spare Mrs. Loco some of the sheer drudgery associated with wash days and the lack of these new fangled washing machines. I see a way through. Separate studs and collars. Are these items still commercially available ? I do prefer to frequent charity shops or Oxfam.