For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:
Dodo wrote:(note to self to read all replies before posting. I have just repeated what lobstaboy said)

Only in hindsight. I was editing my post to include the long bit about what the assessment could mean while you were posting yours. Of course I didn't see your post until I'd finished my edit. So actually you did get there first. Can you reinstate it? is it gone for ever. Lost in the ddatasphere...
There! I've been nice to someone today. Back to usual now...

Umm, something like

I'm not quite in the over 70 demographic yet, but if offered the choice of 3 points for a minor traffic offence or taking a driving assessment which if failed would lose me my licence, I think I'd just go for the points.
lobstaboy liked this
By Miscellaneous
Really, @Dodo. Is that down to 'fear' of the test, because you believe your driving is sub test standard, or because you couldn't be a&sed with the inconvenience?
By Rob P
I'd gleefully accept three points on my currently clean licence to be spared my fourth 'speed awareness course'

Rob P
Flyingfemme liked this
By johnm
taking a driving assessment which if failed would lose me my licence, I think I'd just go for the points.

If you can't head for an assessment with confidence the only rational course of action is to handover the keys :roll:

Mind you about 20% of the drivers I observe on the M4 should be handing their keys in. My particular favourite is when I pull out to allow them to overtake a slower vehicle while I overtake them and they finally spot it about 4 inches from the bumper, slam the brakes on, look in the mirrors for half a minute and finally get around to the actual overtaking :roll:
kanga liked this
By Dodo
Miscellaneous wrote:Really, @Dodo. Is that down to 'fear' of the test, because you believe your driving is sub test standard, or because you couldn't be a&sed with the inconvenience?

I took my driving test in July 1974. I passed first time, but no other assessment in my life has ever been quite as stressful and I include Medical School finals and Aeroplane and Helicopter GFTs in that.
By Pete L
The GFT I think is one of the least stressful and most practical of exams. (Can't answer for the helo version).
By Paul_Sengupta
johnm wrote:[My particular favourite is when I pull out to allow them to overtake a slower vehicle while I overtake them and they finally spot it about 4 inches from the bumper, slam the brakes on, look in the mirrors for half a minute and finally get around to the actual overtaking :roll:

I've noticed a fairly definite gender divide for the people who do this. I'll leave it at that.

And yes I'm assuming their gender from their appearance!
Mz Hedy liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
Rob P wrote:Oi! Leave us oldies some privileges will you! :evil:

Some will hang in there as long as they can as it is there freedom. That's a privilege? :wink:

Apparently a lot of oldies hand in their keys when they get put on medication that is incompatible in their own opinion.

The problem will go away when driverless cars reach maturity as the oldies will still have their freedom.
Although the problem will become where to go as the local councils are trying to pedestrianise more of the town centres to encourage walking and cycling that the less mobile and ageing population cant reach. The councils when then blame lack of town centre visitors and trade on internet shopping and home deliveries!

:wink:
By johnm
It should be a surprise to no one that there is no car dealer in the middle of Cirencester but there is a dealer of mobility scooters and walking aids :lol:
kanga liked this