For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By JAFO
@Miscellaneous - my recollection is, as far as I can tell, entirely accurate but as to whether either that or what originally happened is an illusion even Uncle Albert would be hard pushed to tell.
Miscellaneous liked this
By Charles Hunt
Hitch-hiking with my brother across Crete from Ierapatra to Aghios Nikolaos a friend of mine stopped and picked us up.

Hitch-hiking from Birmingham to Newton Abbot stuck at an M5 services, university lab technician and family on their way to Devon took me the rest of the way.

Recently at Tebay services met a couple of friends (behind masks) from my previous W Sussex village.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The result of my friend putting his aircraft through the hedge was at least temporarily recorded on Google Earth. I took a screenshot for posteriority (being an **** about historic events :D )
By Paultheparaglider
ROG wrote:Paraglider--could have been one girl pretending that she was a triplet.
Did you ever see them together or with the pope.

It wasn't me. It was @seanxair . I've never been that lucky.
By T6Harvard
JAFO wrote:I was once walking through town with my wife and told her about a quote I'd just read from Albert Einstein which said: "Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

We crossed the road and went into a shop, I opened a small wooden box that was on display and written inside the lid was: "Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

But was the quote in the box written and not written by Schrodinger's cat?
JAFO liked this
By Miscellaneous
T6Harvard wrote:
JAFO wrote:I was once walking through town with my wife and told her about a quote I'd just read from Albert Einstein which said: "Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

We crossed the road and went into a shop, I opened a small wooden box that was on display and written inside the lid was: "Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

But was the quote in the box written and not written by Schrodinger's cat?

That depends on whether @JAFO was observing at the time of writing. :D
T6Harvard liked this
By Bill McCarthy
On another foreign to the USA or any other place for that matter - 99% of boats crews “play away”. We were out there a while and a LT Commander had made an “acquaintance” , but his wife decided to fly out there to him for a surprise visit. When we re entered port he could see his “acquaintance” and his wife standing a few feet apart, unknown to each other. Not a coincidence, just sheer bad luck !
By lobstaboy
Paultheparaglider wrote:
ROG wrote:Paraglider--could have been one girl pretending that she was a triplet.
Did you ever see them together or with the pope.

It wasn't me. It was @seanxair . I've never been that lucky.

I did once know identical twin girls who told me they'd once been out with a boy - on alternate dates and without ever telling him there were two of them. They say he never twigged in several (very intimate) months.
I'm not sure I believe this now with the benefit of hindsight because I think I recall reading something similar in a novel, so they could have made it up.
Their names were Andrea and Althea Bailey - it would be an amazing coincidence if anyone knows them (trying desperately to get back on track). They'd be in their early 60s and presumably with married surnames.
By JAFO
My father-in-law carried a photograph of his wife's twin sister in his wallet for more than twenty years before my mother-in-law told him.
By StratoTramp
I wonder if it's like some environmental meme. Some sort of trigger in the environment.

Contacted a really old colleague today from the past. Turns out 4 people from our office have reached out to him this week without any discussion on knowledge between us.

Obvious one would be Xmas. But we didn't reach out for the past several years
By malcolmfrost
A couple of years ago we were on the ferry from Scilly and it was a bit lumpy. My wife was suffering and a nice lady Doctor gave her some quells and they chatted for the crossing. a few weeks later and we are on a work trip to St. Lucia and go for a short walk in the hills opposite our hotel. Coming down, we pass a small bungalow B&B and the lady on the verandah says "We've met before"!!
By JAFO
StratoTramp wrote:Turns out 4 people from our office have reached out to him this week without any discussion on knowledge between us.

Obvious one would be Xmas. But we didn't reach out for the past several years

@TheFarmer tells me that I have to read "reach out" as "reach around" and, you know what? He's right, it does make it more interesting.
By OCB
More a "small world" rather than coincidence. Whilst working for a banking client in Brussels, an English lad joined the team.

Whilst chatting, it turned out he'd been to Glasgow Uni at the same time as I had 15 years back - he'd been barman at the Queen Margaret Union at the same time one of my good friends was President of the Union.

We'd even ended up at the same party one night, but weren't introduced. We'd basically spent 3 years at Uni together, with several overlapping circles of friends - going to many events with those circles -but didn't actually end up talking until we ended up as colleagues in a different country, in a team that had a total of 8 people.
By avtur3
When living in the US we were out for a walk one day on the banks of the Shenandoah River at Harpers Ferry, Virginia. We met a family who lived on the same road as us in Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.

Within our circle of friends there are four people with the same birthday as me.