For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
1) (I'll title this one 'Annoying coincidences') We were nearing the end of a walking holiday, exploring a relatively un-used path in a narrow gorge. It was a fair way from any road, in fact we had off-roaded the hire car to get nearer to the gorge entrance :D
After a while I noticed 2 hikers on a reciprocal heading. Looking more closely I saw it was my boss. It was impossible to avoid him. Dang. Had to make polite small talk.

(He'd made a last minute booking and this was their first day's hike)

2) We bought three tickets for The Spanish Riding School in Vienna. Tickets were in high demand, selling to tourists from all over the world, and it was impossible to get seats together. In fact we were seated on different rows in different tiers, allocating our tickets randomly between us.
After the event my Mum excitedly told us that the chap she had sat next to knew of her tiny Scottish village (that no-one except fly fishers has ever heard of). It turned out that the chap was pals with her dear friend who lived in the next street.
By Paultheparaglider
Propwash wrote:
My own theory is that we are all part of a reality TV show and these coincidences are just part of the script. :wink: (I think I got that idea from a film I saw but can’t remember the name of :lol: )

PW

The Truman Show?
Propwash liked this
By Paultheparaglider
Miscellaneous wrote:Conclusion; the chances of your next door neighbour seeing you are higher. :wink:

:lol:

OK. I accept defeat.

Anyway, explain this one. When I was a small baby, my parents bought me a stuffed toy. It was a black and white panda. 30 years later, I ended up with a Chinese wife. Spooky, huh? :wink:
By Paultheparaglider
seanxair wrote:I had three girlfriends in succession who all had the same birthday - turned out they were triplets :shock:

I would have been more impressed if you had had the three girlfriends simultaneously. :wink:
By seanxair
Paultheparaglider wrote:
seanxair wrote:I had three girlfriends in succession who all had the same birthday - turned out they were triplets :shock:

I would have been more impressed if you had had the three girlfriends simultaneously. :wink:

I'm not a magician! :lol:
By lobstaboy
Paultheparaglider wrote:

Well that depends on how you read the phrase "had three girlfriends in succession". It sounds pretty impressive to me, real stamina.
Paultheparaglider liked this
By Charles Hunt
I SAW A THREAD ALL IN CAPS, AND THOUGHT "THAT MUST BE Rog."

Met a work colleague by chance in a museum near Boston (when we were both UK based).

Met same work colleague getting off a train in Newton Abbot (my home town) just as I was getting on.

Met a lady from the village I used to live in up-country in Ghana.

Passed some Scotland based friends in a queue at Heathrow (or Gatwick) early one morning, they were off on holiday I was heading somewhere else for work.

My late son, in a park in Beijing heard "Hi Andrew." It was the landlord of our village local in W Sussex.

A few weeks ago we had dinner with some friends in Italy and they were excited that they'd seen a Salamander. Got home turned on the outside light and there was a Salamander at the top of our steps. (Never seen one before or since at the house, but did see a couple at a spring source a few days later.)
By TheKentishFledgling
10 years or so I was usher at a wedding in Sydney for a mate who I'd played rugby with at Canterbury Rugby Club (Kent, not NZ...). A few CRFC mates were in Sydney too for the wedding as you'd expect.

I got back to our apartment one afternoon and when the lift doors opened was met with a bloke who was wearing a Canterbury rugby polo shirt. I didn't recognise him but presumed he was there for the wedding so introduced myself and said we were all meeting in so and so bar in 30 minutes or whatever. He looked a bit blank. Turns out he was nothing to do with the wedding, just in Sydney on hols from another part of Kent. Weirdly he and his wife were staying in the apartment directly below ours. None of the wedding mob knew him, but he'd watched us all play for Canterbury several times over the years.
By Bill McCarthy
Boat crew mate J. (Whisky) Walker was crossing the street in Charlestown South Carolina (i think it was) when a policeman blew his whistle and shouted at him “hey, jaywalker” as he did not use the crossing. Whisky says - listen to that, somebody kens me here !

Dreadnought was tied up alongside in the stores basin in Sembawang dockyard Singapore - I had been ashore and was just about to cross over the gangway to board when I say a farmer from the farm I was brought up on, standing on the casing waiting to go down below for a look round - he knew the dockyard manager and got a privileged tour of the yard.
By JAFO
I was once walking through town with my wife and told her about a quote I'd just read from Albert Einstein which said: "Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

We crossed the road and went into a shop, I opened a small wooden box that was on display and written inside the lid was: "Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
T6Harvard liked this