For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By lobstaboy
kanga wrote:
JAFO wrote:No Man is an island...

...except Barry.

Famous, of course, as...

...a location in Gavin and Stacey, and as the site of the scrap yard that was the source of loads of the steam locomotives that are now at preserved railways.
By Miscellaneous
lobstaboy wrote:Ok @JAFO that is seriously very good!

Well, it would be better if Barry Island was in fact an island. :wink:

@MikeB indeed, as I have posted here whilst sitting underneath said aircraft. If I recall correctly on the Saturday of the Cardiff fly-in they were departing over me sitting in the garden and arriving on base on the Sunday. :thumright:
MikeB liked this
By JAFO
Barry was an island until the 1880s when it was linked to the mainland as the town of Barry expanded.

I can't help thinking we've got a little off track here, though.

Barry (no longer an) Island is forever connected with aviation for me as it was where my Flying Scholarship started when I was just 17. I arrived at Barry Island railway station on a Sunday evening in early July and was picked up by the owner of the Cambrian Aero Club, Niall McGarry, driving his mushy-pea green Mercedes. Her Majesty the Queen had paid for my train ticket and she was, very kindly, going to pay for my board and lodgings for the next four weeks, together with thirty hours of flying instruction and lots of ground school. I must thank her for that one day.

We can now get back on track with coincidences by someone telling me that Niall McGarry used to live next door but one to their auntie's hairdresser's friend's cat sitter.
MikeB liked this
By Miscellaneous
@JAFO but, but surely you having a link to Barry is on track and another coincidence? :wink:

Re the history; Barry and the peninsula still known as Barry Island are not one in the same. :wink: Barry Island was an island until the 1880s, Barry has never been an island. :wink:
JAFO liked this
By JAFO
In this map of 1877, Barry Island looks very much like an island to me. I understand that the area known as Barry was not an island but the island was an island and it was called Barry Island.

By CloudHound
A dear friend sadly no longer alive went alone on holiday in the Far East.

She spent a morning on a long wide deserted beach until someone arrived and set up refreshments kiosk. So she set off to walk quite some distance to get a drink.

She noticed a guy coming from the opposite end of the beach who got there first and waited for him to be served.

On turning round he said in Welsh “Hello Ann fancy meeting you here”!

It was a boy from school in Criccieth she hadn’t seen in 30 years.
By kanga
CloudHound wrote:.. he said in Welsh “Hello Ann fancy meeting you here”!

It was a boy from school in Criccieth she hadn’t seen in 30 years.

For an analogous noncoincidence, from a few years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102696&p=1508627 :)
By Paultheparaglider
Now, I appreciate it might not be such an amazing coincidence as this is a pilot forum, but following @JAFO 's comment that he flew at Cardiff, I've shared a few details and he and I have a lot of Cardiff's PA38s in common from a fair time back. Plus an instructor who signed off my first solo. His CFI was unsurprisingly in the circumstances my CFI and also conducted my NFT. JAFO and I have never met, though. We must rectify that JAFO.

I've flown the aircraft he did his first solo in. He has flown the aircraft I did my first solo in.

Added to this, I seem to recall @Paul_Sengupta has also graced a few of the same cockpits.

Nice memories.
JAFO liked this