For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
Out kayaking one day on Loch Morar we were leaving an island after (packed) lunch and as I sat in the kayak waiting on everyone getting in their kayaks I chatted to a girl doing likewise. It turned out, not only had we lived in the same street, but had owned the same flat some 175 miles distant from Loch Morar (not at the same time :D ).

From this thread I get the feeling I should be reading something in to it that I'm just not getting. :(
By Big Dex
Last week my CCTV cameras at home picked up a chap, clearly pretending to be blind (sporting a white stick, tapping away merrily) trying all the car, campervan and house doors and windows. My wife was at home alone in the garden-office, and I was in my office 8 mins away. The movement alerts start a CCTV window on my office desktop.

So, I jump in my truck, call the wife to tell her to lock herself in, call the security heavies to get to the house. As I get close to the house, there's the bloody blind man walking down the pavement looking all innocent and harmless. Pulled up next to him, got out and "advised him of my displeasure at his activities".

Yep, different chap, genuinely blind.
seanxair liked this
By JAFO
Miscellaneous wrote:From this thread I get the feeling I should be reading something in to it that I'm just not getting. :(

I#m not getting it either, Misc. It's just a coincidence. I went hot air ballooning earlier this year and found out that the person I was stood next to had just sold her house and it was the first house I lived in when I moved to Suffolk 27 years ago. It's just one of those things, nothing to be read into it. We do lots of things, meet lots of people, it would be strange if we didn't occasionally uncover a link.
By lobstaboy
Spotting coincidences is skill gifted to us by evolution. Odd things happening at the same time might warn us of sabre toothed tigers - that sort of thing. We are programmed to think coincidences are weird and to remember them for next time. Fat lot of good it does us in the modern world.
If you want to seek out some deeper cosmic significance seek out the Koestler book I linked to earlier - it's all in there.
By kanga
Pete L wrote:Good man - who'd want bandits and horse-thieves as their rels.

Like all Brits with Brit forebears of a couple of centuries, I'm very likely to have far more peasants than Royals among those forebears. I'm not bothered nor even very interested, but for understandable reasons it was exciting for my mother. My surname is Norman, but is as likely to reflect Anglo-Saxon serfs as their Norman overlords :)

From my favourite G&S (which may also appeal to @HazelC :wink: ):

https://allpoetry.com/Blue-Blood

"..Hearts just as pure and fair
May beat in Belgrave Square
As in the lowly air
Of Seven Dials! .."
Pete L, T6Harvard liked this
By Miscellaneous
lobstaboy wrote:If you want to seek out some deeper cosmic significance...

That's my point, there is no deeper significance. Not only are they inevitable, they are occurring all the time without us knowing. The surprise is not the coincidence, but the fact we uncover it.

They are fun though. :D
kanga, T6Harvard liked this
By lobstaboy
Miscellaneous wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:If you want to seek out some deeper cosmic significance...

That's my point, there is no deeper significance. Not only are they inevitable, they are occurring all the time without us knowing. The surprise is not the coincidence, but the fact we uncover it.

They are fun though. :D

Awww c'mon
What about morphic resonance then? Surely there's something in that?
Yes I am joking...
By lobstaboy
Miscellaneous wrote:@lobstaboy, as with everything I have an open mind and am prepared to believe whatever can be evidenced. :wink: :D

But a belief is an acceptance that something is true, especially without proof
(According to the online dictionary I just looked at)
So there is never any need to believe anything. All the evidence you need comes to you through your senses.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:@kanga - you might be related to Mrs McC !

And..... to my Scouse husband's maternal grandmother.

Now wouldn't THAT be a coincidence!
kanga liked this
By Miscellaneous
@T6Harvard you've reminded me of another coincidence. SWMBO hales from Barry, South Wales. We met in Brockenhurst in the New Forest. Turns out her dad is a Scot, who was posted to St Athan. Not only was he a Scot, he is from the same area I am. Not only that, as a boy he worked on my relative's (although not close) farm. :D

And then whilst on the south coast a few years back a forumite kindly took me flying from Lee on Solent, as we crossed Brockenhurst I said I had met her there. Turns out said forumite is from Barry.

These coincidences are everywhere. :D

Oh and then a couple of months back whilst joining a group touring the Highlands I was overheard saying where I worked previously. Turns out another of the group did the same job in a different part of the country. And although both our memories were sketchy, we had met.
T6Harvard liked this