For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
I wouldn't care, @JAFO, however they tell me to make sure it is not on the public highway until they correct their error and I can tax it. A minor inconvenience which will all work itself out in the end. :D
By Boxkite
So here's another coincidence, happening right now as I write:
I am listening to Spotify and letting it choose random music from a Genre loosely based around 80s and newer synth-pop-rock which is also bringing much German band music. Right now, it's a deep version by a German band of Smalltown Boy. I never considered to guess the original artist (perhaps Soft Cell or other...).
While listening, I checked the BBC news and saw a 20-minute-old article that Steve Bronski had just died.
JAFO liked this
By eltonioni
Mrs E, myself and a lady friend (let’s call her Claire) were enjoying a bottle of wine outside our local wine bar a few years ago and we got talking to a nice chap on his own who was in town on some course. Let’s call him Graham.

Anyway, we all got on like a house on fire, and the party went on into the early hours at Claire’s place a few doors away. ( Oi, you at the back, get your mind out of the gutter, Graham was most definitely gay… and I’m happily married before you start thinking the other!)

Long story short;
Over the coming weeks we learned that our new friend Graham had been adopted as a newborn. Never knew his birth parents, had tried to find out and never could. All he had was born Halifax and his birthday.

Imagine the incredulity when we worked out that Graham’s birth mother was Claire’s mum’s best friend and neighbour. She’d become pregnant when it was the norm in society for unmarried women to give up baby in the maternity hospital, never see them again and regret it forever.

Mother and son very happily reunited after thirty odd years and the most bizarre coincidence.
T6Harvard, kanga, JAFO and 5 others liked this
By XX
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
1. Years ago, we booked a last minute holiday to Zante. On holiday did a spontaneous organised day trip. Joined another, unknown, couple from the coach for lunch. We live in Kent, they in Louth, Lincolnshire. We said we knew Louth through bike racing at Cadwell Park. They marshalled at bike meetings, introduced to it by Wendy and Nigel. Wendy & Nigel previously lived in the same road as me in Kent and the four of us were good friends, through the racing, before they moved to Lincolnshire.

2. Invited to the opening of Chiswick Honda, through work. As we were leaving we passed another couple and all of us were surprised to see each other. We couldn’t remember their names, because actually we never exchanged them. We later recollected that we had chatted briefly at the hotel welcome meeting on a holiday to Zanzibar some months before.

3. Prised birthday out of current partner. Same date as my dear late husband. He also took me to see the family home, way out in the Sussex sticks. Adjacent to the house owned by my catering manager at work. Partner’s parents sold her the land the house is built on.

I love coincidences but like others, wonder how many we just miss.
T6Harvard liked this
By eltonioni
Not quite amazing, but it has a certain roundness to it.

Duck expert named as first Briton with deadly strain of H5 bird flu

Alan Gosling tests positive for virus after Muscovy ducks he kept at his home in Devon became infected and were culled

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... gniter-rhr
JAFO liked this
By squawking 7700
On a flight back from Canada got talking to the Canadian couple in the seats behind. Turns out they were headed to a little village in Leicestershire that I knew (the pub mainly...) although I lived in Nottingham.
Talked a little more and asked where/who they were staying with (I'd got suspicions at this stage of the impending coincidence), turns out it was the family of someone I'd done my apprenticeship with (he always pulled the best looking girls on his Garelli Tiger Cross).

By OCB
My kids got into field hockey a couple of years back.

I'm now a certified, 100% "hockey Dad"...I'm typing this from the clubhouse, where I'm either 5 or 6 days per week - depending upon whether it's home or away games.

The granny of 2 of the girls in my 8 yr old daughter's team was chatting with one of the dads - they were lamenting the world-beating incompetence of Belgian politicians when it comes to delivering public infrastructure - and it turns out said granny was born on the same street in Brussels where I had my first apartment!

Spookier still was that she said there was a hairdresser on the ground floor...as was the flat I had!

We had to fire up Street View and check things out.

No, it wasn't the same building...she was born and lived 30 years in nr 48, I had my place across the road in nr 51....but her best mate's dad was the owner of the hairdresser in nr 51, and spent plenty of time "upstairs" before it got converted into flats.

She was able to explain some historical stuff about the local area that I didn't know, and I was able to tell her some rollicking stories about her favourite bar :lol:
T6Harvard liked this