For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Rob P wrote:
johnm wrote:It is well known that I’m not a fan of political correctness but sensible use of neutral language serves to emphasise to a degree the importance of getting rid of undesirable attitudes.

@Cessna571 My response was to John's statement above, not a suggestion that a gender neutral term is unwelcome.

My objection is to the degradation of the word aviator. The cook and latrine cleaner (two people hopefully) are vital to the air force, but they patently are not aviators.

Rob P

Sorry, I didn’t realise, I don’t see his posts any more after all the glee he had supporting Irritate Britain and getting the chap I agreed with banned.

Though to be fair it was six of one and half a dozen of the other.
Rob P liked this
By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheFarmer wrote:Out of interest, how are the French dealing with it when everything is either “le” or “la”?

Does everything now have to be “la” or “lu”, to please the feminists and the man haters?

Presumably it will be La La land? :D

KE
lobstaboy wrote:...
And I'm with Prof. Stock and others - if you're not a woman you can't give birth. Which is not the same thing as saying that if you self identify as a woman you can give birth.

But of course if you can't give birth it doesn't mean you're not a woman.
:smurfin:

and...
Cessna571 wrote:Remember, under the law, you’re not allowed to call them a man or woman, in the same way I’m not allowed to call you a woman.

Which law's that? Surely it's an age old insult to call a man "an old woman". Are figures of speech now banned from modern language?
A4 Pacific liked this
lobstaboy wrote: if you're not a woman you can't give birth.

The person formerly known as my niece isn’t a woman, but I’m sure he is capable of giving birth, as he used to be a woman, and didn’t have the necessary bits removed.

(There is the problem that he’ll have to sleep with a man, so the man will have to be gay, but he’ll have to be the type of gay man that prefers women’s bodies, while accepting the woman’s body belongs to a man.

He thinks they must exist, I think that’s just probably a straight or bisexual man. )

Just as you can have different types of women, “a woman with a womb” being a subset of women, you can also have other genders with wombs.

A “man with a womb” is a thing, and they can give birth.

It’s funny that natural women now have the special title, those that were born women, are called “woman with a womb”and it’s those that who converted who are just “women”
kanga liked this
By nallen
Cessna571 wrote:The person formerly known as my niece isn’t a woman, but I’m sure he is capable of giving birth, as he used to be a woman, and didn’t have the necessary bits removed.

(There is the problem that he’ll have to sleep with a man, so the man will have to be gay, but he’ll have to be the type of gay man that prefers women’s bodies, while accepting the woman’s body belongs to a man.

He thinks they must exist, I think that’s just probably a straight or bisexual man. )

You can just buy sperm -- could make an original Christmas present.
TrickyWoo liked this
By MichaelP
Is there a list of gender neutral names?
Will old male and female names be put on a banned list?
How will future history books cope?
What about students of literature?
On the news there’s Laura, and now the Duchess!
Can one call a child with male equipment “Laura”?
By StratoTramp
Rob P wrote:
kanga wrote:Equally, to me, the phrase 'gender police' in other contexts is... to denigrate unwelcome... developing usages and attitudes

As meanings of long established words can today be completely changed with the stroke of a pen by any passing AVM I have no qualms in using the term 'gender police' in this precise context.

Rob P

This is the exactly problem to me - No wonder nobody can agree on what is true and what is fake news if we can't even agree on foundational parts of civilisation such as what is a man and what is a woman. Women with winkies is not a thing. This isn't to say you can't be free dress how you like & you should also never receive hate - but fundamentally winky = male.

It's very hard to have a discussion when everyone thinks the words mean 20+ different things.

Clay words, clay principles. you can't build anything on mushy foundations.
nallen wrote:You can just buy sperm -- could make an original Christmas present.

The Christmas turkey baster could then find a role.

Rob P
nallen liked this