For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I love that becoming an aviator used to take training and proving the ability to conduct a flying machine unaided.

Now the ability to clean the latrines qualifies you.

Rob P
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:I love that becoming an aviator used to take training and proving the ability to conduct a flying machine unaided.

Now the ability to clean the latrines qualifies you.

Rob P

We'll soon be at the point where anyone with a laptop can control an unmanned military aircraft from his/her bedroom and all military aircraft will be unmanned, so a military aviator is just anyone who can manage Microsoft Flightsim :twisted:
Rob P liked this
By johnm
skydriller wrote::scratch: I thought that a female Aviator was an Aviatrix... thereby negating this whole change??

Indeed those of us with a knowledge of archaic English might remember the word "actress" too :D
By avtur3
Not aviation related, but sort of related to the topic.

Today I learned that when a child misbehaves one is supposed to be very clear in saying that the 'behavior' is naughty as distinct from the child being naughty.

So, when some aspect of behaviour (say, one's grandchild) is witnessed you are not supposed say "you are naughty, don't do that"

Apparently what you have to say is "that is naughty" (i.e. the behaviour) so don't do that.
Last edited by avtur3 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAFO, Ben K, kanga liked this
By johnm
Let's not be silly folks, Soldiers and Sailors are gender neutral so adding Aviator instead of Airman to the traditional phrase makes perfect sense AFAICS.
Ben K liked this
avtur3 wrote:Not aviation related, but sort of related to the topic. ...

Apparently what you have to say is "that is naughty" (i.e. the behaviour) so don't do that.

I'll assume you mean that this is a similar example of 'woke' nonsense?
The point is Children are not stupid. If you label a child as being 'naughty' it can think, well I'm a naughty child so I'll do other behaviours that I shouldn't do. Limit your label to the behaviour and there is ample room for the child to feel it is loved and respected by its grandparent who has just explained that doing a certain thing is not acceptable. No loss of face.
Try this - it really is a good way of getting better behaviour and keeping a great relationship with the small ones. It's practical advice, not PC carp.
T6Harvard, JAFO, johnm and 1 others liked this
By avtur3
lobstaboy wrote:
avtur3 wrote:Not aviation related, but sort of related to the topic. ...

I'll assume you mean that this is a similar example of 'woke' nonsense?
The point is Children are not stupid. If you label a child as being 'naughty' it can think, well I'm a naughty child so I'll do other behaviours that I shouldn't do. Limit your label to the behaviour and there is ample room for the child to feel it is loved and respected by its grandparent who has just explained that doing a certain thing is not acceptable. No loss of face.
Try this - it really is a good way of getting better behaviour and keeping a great relationship with the small ones. It's practical advice, not PC carp.

Your assumption is judgmental and wrong, I am simply reporting what I had been told without offering comment. I am a first time grandparent to an 18 month old and am keen to do the best 'grand parenting' job I can, having been let down by my own parents, and never having known a grandparent. Thanks for your concern.
JAFO, Cessna571 liked this