For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
TheFarmer wrote:Sir Rob,

That was a fine post. Thank you.

Kind regards

Dame Sangeeta Pistlethwaite.
(How I shall now be identifying).

But surely many of us already have new ways of naming ourselves?

Our Forum user names.

So, Dame Sangeeta, why not just stick with The Farmer?
(I suppose the 'The' is the same as in Winnie the Pooh).
Or do we need to be even more woke than that? Sort of second-order self identification?

If it's necessary, I'll be BigBoy.

What?? Why not? What's wrong with that FFS...
TheFarmer liked this
Actually our RIGHTS are being denied by the forum. I have discovered we cannot change our user name to reflect our PSH (Personal Status Honorific) :evil:

As I no longer employ people I feel safe in stating that were I, and I received a CV giving the candidates PGP, it would be heading for the round file faster than a fast thing that was going very fast.

Rob P
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Everyone loves a Dame at this time of year.

But in this world where it is no longer permitted for many acting roles to be played by people from the wrong identity group (the mathematician in me cringes), why are pantomine dames still played by what appear to be men?
StratoTramp, TrickyWoo liked this
lobstaboy wrote:..
Great fun explaining the English pantomime to US colleagues. "Jeez, you Britishers - you call that family entertainment..."

I've worked both in UK and in Canada (where they also stage British-style pantos in larger cities like Ottawa) with attached US personnel, usually military or DoD. It seemed to be a tradition among them that those in a 2nd or later local Christmas would take those relatively newly arrived (with children) to one without prior explanation, often to their initial consternation, but great enjoyment :)

[not sure what the equivalent would be for a Brit newly arrived in US should be; Major League sports game ? St Patrick's Day parade ? ]
JAFO wrote:
kanga wrote:...not sure what the equivalent would be for a Brit newly arrived in US should be

Kill the locals and steal their land? That's traditional.

I really enjoyed the Little House on the Prairie books as a child. It's a shame now to realise just how dubious many of the underpinning views and assumptions are.
One example: the land they homesteaded was recognised at the time to belong to native Americans. They were there illegally.
kanga liked this
Rob P wrote:In the FLYER tradition of thread drift please indulge me with the following musings.

It appears people are allowed/encouraged/forced to decide on their personal pronouns (PGP) or even their neopronouns :roll: Thankfully I have never encountered a single person to whom this applies, but as I read elsewhere, and indeed even here, I do understand such people exist.

There seem to be obvious issues as to knowing what words we have to apply to such people, that is unless it is customary for them to wear lapel badges with their pronouns - neo or ancient - displayed in big friendly letters on the front. Is this done? But does it really matter as the chances are any conversation will consist of the words you and yours, where we don't even have to gauge our level of familiarity, as do the unfortunate French?

However... Much as we are now allowed/compelled to select our gender, regardless of the contents of our Y-fronts or panties, I have unilaterally decided that I should be allowed to self identify my status.

Henceforth I wish to be addressed as 'Sir'.

This raises questions. How do I let people know this? A badge with "My PSH is Sir"? Or do I have to send text briefing in advance of any meeting?

Surely I have the same rights as any gender flexible person to insist how I should be spoken of? Personal pronouns are an issue, but I am happy with His Lordship(s)'. I know I have never actually been ennobled, but in a world where the AVM can change the meaning of a word overnight I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to. I insist on this as one of my many rights in the world of 2021/2.

I look forward to meeting you all at future fly-ins.

Rob P

Perhaps some here see you as more of a count !
Rob P liked this
Loco parentis wrote:Perhaps some here see you as more of a count !

Having trouble with spellcheck again? :lol:

Rob P