For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
seanxair wrote:Is it wrong to say what a load of 'b0ll0ckx' nowadays? Like to know what the woke equivalent is :lol:

I’m just catching up with this thread, so sorry if it has already been answered- but the gender neutral of “bx” is “that’s a bunch of gonads”.. or “that’s Nads”, which was a Teacher Neutral comment back in the 80s when we wanted to say “summit was bx” in front of Teach.
seanxair liked this
MichaelP wrote:Is there a list of gender neutral names?
Can one call a child with male equipment “Laura”?

In UK, or at least in England and Wales, one can call ones children anything one wishes, I believe. Notoriously, some parents have chosen to give poor sprogs of either sex as first names the first and surnames of an entire football team :roll:

Lots of anglophone world gender neutral first names which were common enough that I have known examples: Esme, Hilary, Evelyn, ..

USN has recently announced that a carrier is to be named for a Navy Cross recipient, Pearl Harbor hero, called Doris Miller :thumright:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Miller

An American actor, well known for playing tough military roles was called Marion Morrison, although he used the stage name John Wayne :wink:
OCB liked this
johnm wrote:The world changes and dictionaries add words and modify definitions. The sentiment is all about not caring what colour, gender or sexual orientation an employee of the RAF might be and that’s what’s important not the semantics of how the sentiment is expressed :roll:

‘Corporal?’

‘F*7cking what?’

‘I want to speak with HR’

‘Who?’

‘As an employee I have the right to…’

‘YOU have the f(&%ing WHAT?’

‘As an emplo…’

Conversation ends abruptly with no notes taken for evidence.
@kanga - my SO had the inverse, she was Christened with a gender ambiguous francophone name…Pierre-Emmanuel.

The only reason she got the interview at the “shop” we worked was cos her boss thought the CV was from a bloke.

He’s seen that he’d (she’d) done some spectacular work at French Telecom - including the first live internet multicast of a certain Britney Spears.

She was (and is) an IT chick, but she probably wouldn’t have “made it” if it wasn’t for her gender ambiguous forename :(
kanga liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Says more about french culture if you ask me. This is of course if her boss isnt English... Where the following would fall over. :lol:

Obviously not universal. But I know a few guys at work who have a French boss.

They have grown beards, wear fake wedding rings & lie about having children as they say often you don't get taken seriously if you are not "married" or don't have kids as you don't have real life problems.

It's old hat & overly hierarchical. Can't go outside chains of command at work. This website is quite interesting for comparing general cultures.

https://www.hofstede-insights.com/produ ... countries/
What all of the people who raise these points about gender neutral words and so on probably don't realise is that when they're my age, somebody is going to come along and tell them that they are some form of -ist or -phobe because of the language they use.

Look at the comedy of the seventies and what was deemed funny then. It wasn't but it gives you a clue as to how people were thinking. Those attitudes were then found unacceptable by the next generation and then the generation after that brought in PC behaviour and now there's "woke" culture. There will be something else along in another twenty years and everybody who now thinks they're right will be told they're wrong. Hope I'm here to see it.
mick w, PeteSpencer, StratoTramp and 1 others liked this
By johnm
@JAFO The world and its attitudes change and not always for the better. Those of us who value the underlying principles of tolerance and equality simply adapt to the fashions of the day, we may not always approve, we may even avoid use of some of the language, but we will seek to avoid offence through good manners. Of course we expect that to be a two way street and will not take kindly to aggressive behaviour from minorities either, though peaceful protest is OK.
kanga, bladerunner911 liked this
By StratoTramp
JAFO wrote:What all of the people who raise these points about gender neutral words and so on probably don't realise is that when they're my age, somebody is going to come along and tell them that they are some form of -ist or -phobe because of the language they use.

Look at the comedy of the seventies and what was deemed funny then. It wasn't but it gives you a clue as to how people were thinking. Those attitudes were then found unacceptable by the next generation and then the generation after that brought in PC behaviour and now there's "woke" culture. There will be something else along in another twenty years and everybody who now thinks they're right will be told they're wrong. Hope I'm here to see it.

Exactly. They will be turned upon. Not sure if it is a virtuous or vicious cycle tbh.

Whatever happened to turning the other cheek / agreeing to disagree / forgiveness.

People disagree all the time one here :lol: mostly politely, with the odd slip / rant including me. But then I do 70 edits to self-moderate.
OXFORD DICTIONARY.--Aviator/Aviatrix--"chiefly dated" a pilot, especially in the early days of flying.
When I was fighting for queen and a cake in the NAAFI---the basic ranks were addressed as airman. --LAC--leading aircraftmen and above were usually addressed by rank or as "you there".
I can"t see the station commander calling some erk "aviator"
In the FLYER tradition of thread drift please indulge me with the following musings.

It appears people are allowed/encouraged/forced to decide on their personal pronouns (PGP) or even their neopronouns :roll: Thankfully I have never encountered a single person to whom this applies, but as I read elsewhere, and indeed even here, I do understand such people exist.

There seem to be obvious issues as to knowing what words we have to apply to such people, that is unless it is customary for them to wear lapel badges with their pronouns - neo or ancient - displayed in big friendly letters on the front. Is this done? But does it really matter as the chances are any conversation will consist of the words you and yours, where we don't even have to gauge our level of familiarity, as do the unfortunate French?

However... Much as we are now allowed/compelled to select our gender, regardless of the contents of our Y-fronts or panties, I have unilaterally decided that I should be allowed to self identify my status.

Henceforth I wish to be addressed as 'Sir'.

This raises questions. How do I let people know this? A badge with "My PSH is Sir"? Or do I have to send text briefing in advance of any meeting?

Surely I have the same rights as any gender flexible person to insist how I should be spoken of? Personal pronouns are an issue, but I am happy with His Lordship(s)'. I know I have never actually been ennobled, but in a world where the AVM can change the meaning of a word overnight I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to. I insist on this as one of my many rights in the world of 2021/2.

I look forward to meeting you all at future fly-ins.

Rob P