For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Hi

I have an old Golf 1.6Tdi Blue Motion from 2011 that's done 189,000 miles. Driving back from Liverpool it broke down and Mr AA fitted an EGR valve blank. With the blank fitted the car seems to run perfectly. It's very much a second car, so am wondering if there's any reason I should't just leave the blanking plate in place?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ian
Been having EGR experiences recently, getting the winter diesels out of hibernation. Plenty of "internet wisdom" around blanking them off. Considered it but managed with a couple of bottles of DPF cleaner and some prolonged hooning on the motorways. The whole EGR "thing" seems to be a pretty dodgy premise, at best. Hold on to your diesel particulates on slow, short journeys - assumed to be around towns) and blow them all out on the first long, fast drive (assumed to be a rural motorway). Typical green thinking - make the problem somebody else's!
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyingfemme wrote:Been having EGR experiences recently, getting the winter diesels out of hibernation. Plenty of "internet wisdom" around blanking them off. Considered it but managed with a couple of bottles of DPF cleaner and some prolonged hooning on the motorways. The whole EGR "thing" seems to be a pretty dodgy premise, at best. Hold on to your diesel particulates on slow, short journeys - assumed to be around towns) and blow them all out on the first long, fast drive (assumed to be a rural motorway). Typical green thinking - make the problem somebody else's!

EGR and DPF are completely different things aimed at solving two diferent issues with diesels.

DPF is what you are referring to, where particulates are trapped in a filter and then subsequently burnt off in a 'regen' phase (not just expelled somewhere else).

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation - is aimed at reducing Nitrogen oxides, and does so all the time by directing some exhaust back into the induction system.

The irony is that the combustion temperatures required for each problem are in opposition - high temps will reduce particulates, but create more NOx; lower temps will reduce NOx but increase particulates.
Rob P, johnm liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
EGR valves aren't that expensive to buy. Labour can vary as some are easy to get to and some are a total PITA. They do your engine no good really, especially in a diesel where your intake can get all clogged up, but they supposedly have an environmental advantage to them. If the MOT person doesn't notice, it may pass. However...if you have a catalytic converter and DPF filter, you may find either a) they get clogged, or b) the sensors eventually pick up that there's something wrong in the system and put you into restricted performance. People who "de-EGR" engines also remove (or destroy the insides of, so the MOT tester doesn't notice) the DPF filter and re-programme the engine management. By then you're into environmental pollution mode!

EGR valves can be cleaned but to get them out to clean them properly, you're just as well buying a new one. You could then clean the old one and keep it as a spare to use in another 190k miles.

I don't know what make this is or whether you prefer to go for OE, and you'd have to check properly for the correct part, but a quick google has this on e-bay for £76.89.

Googling also tells me that on this engine it's fairly inaccessible at the back and it's about 5 hours labour to replace. :shock:
GrahamB wrote:EGR and DPF are completely different things aimed at solving two diferent issues with diesels.

DPF is what you are referring to, where particulates are trapped in a filter and then subsequently burnt off in a 'regen' phase (not just expelled somewhere else).

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation - is aimed at reducing Nitrogen oxides, and does so all the time by directing some exhaust back into the induction system.

The irony is that the combustion temperatures required for each problem are in opposition - high temps will reduce particulates, but create more NOx; lower temps will reduce NOx but increase particulates.

Interesting - the code for the engine error said EGR. But the treatment described has made it go away and it passed the MOT, so I'm happy.
GrahamB liked this
By GrahamB
Flyingfemme wrote:Interesting - the code for the engine error said EGR. But the treatment described has made it go away and it passed the MOT, so I'm happy.

It may be that the EGR valve was gunked up with soot, so the DPF de-sooter did that as well!
Neighbour’s New Holland tractor exhaust pipe corroded and was blowing - replacement arrived without a EGR branch pipe fitted. Fitted the new exhaust system anyway and blanked off the pipe on the induction side. Tractor works and sounds better. It’s a daft “green” fad and leads to less sooting on the induction valves.
By Rob L
My last-but-one diesel VW I blanked off the EGR; it survived many MOTs, but this was over 15 years ago and as others have said, the emission rules/regs have changed since then.

Incidentally, twelve years ago I bought an OBDII self-diagnosis scanner, and it has been invaluable in diagnosing simple faults; for example which wheel ABS sensor has failed (common on VWs). Cost then was about £75.

Considering that most garages charge £35-£65 for a simple diagnosis, it was a no-brainer for me to have one. And it works on other than VWs too!
By Paul_Sengupta
Rob L wrote:Incidentally, twelve years ago I bought an OBDII self-diagnosis scanner, and it has been invaluable in diagnosing simple faults; for example which wheel ABS sensor has failed (common on VWs). Cost then was about £75.

I bought a £100 unit which does my Jaguar. It's pretty good. If you just want an overview though, you can buy a £3-£4 bluetooth unit from Aliexpress and use some software on your phone. You can get £15 OBD readers as well if you just want simple codes.

ABS sensors are a good reason for having one - ABS/DSC warning on the dash - £10 sensor (the reader said which wheel it was) and problem solved.
By Paul_Sengupta
Rob L wrote:Mine can reset the fault codes; I doubt if a £3-£4 one can do that ?

It can, yes, if I remember correctly. What it can't do is interrogate all the different modules and so on, but then neither can my £100 unit. The phone software's a bit hit and miss, I haven't paid for any super duper apps, just had a play around with the free ones.