For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I have a friend who was planning to come to the U.K. on Friday for an event that evening and then go home again on Saturday. With the new rules implemented today I can’t see how he will accomplish this. Maybe someone here knows better ?
As I understand it, when he arrives in England he will need to isolate and take a ‘Day 2’ PCR (can be taken immediately on arrival, doesn’t have to be day 2). However, the ‘Day 2’ PCR results take 24 hours to come back unlike the rapid PCR which take a few hours. The trouble is, whilst I believe the two tests are the same, he would have to take a designated ’day 2’ test as the ref number is required on the PLF and therefore won’t get the results in time for the Friday night event.

Is my summation correct or is there another way ?
Thank you much
My understanding is that you are correct. He has to take a PCR within[u] 48 hours of arrival and self- quarantine until the result is negative. Without the reference for the test he won’t get the PLF completed so won’t be admitted at all, or probably be allowed to board an aircraft. Doesn’t seem to be worth the effort even if the test result is delivered next day.

PW
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Could he do it with two tests: take rapid PCR test on arrival to avoid having to isolate; book Day 2 test -- you get the reference number you need for the PLF when you book the test (or you did with the Day 2 LFT I did last week) -- he can then do the test and submit results at leisure after his return journey? Expense and hassle, obviously...
nallen wrote:Could he do it with two tests: take rapid PCR test on arrival to avoid having to isolate; book Day 2 test -- you get the reference number you need for the PLF when you book the test (or you did with the Day 2 LFT I did last week) -- he can then do the test and submit results at leisure after his return journey? Expense and hassle, obviously...

I am usually in support of a "can do" attitude, however, ....
This does not seem to be in the spirit of the rules for the entire country to avoid more restrictive measures in a few weeks for the convenience of one person in the shorter term.

The spirit of the new rules is to inconvenience a small number of people for a few days for the benefit of millions of people in this country.

Nobody is yet in a position to know for a fact (or not prepared to share the information globally) whether the new rules are OTT for the new variant.
kanga liked this
The rules have changed, again. A pre-departure test is also required from Tuesday for everyone entering the UK.

Fully vaccinated travellers will be required to take pre-departure Covid-19 tests before coming to – or returning to – the UK, despite the Transport Secretary warning that such a move could “kill off the travel sector again”.

On Saturday afternoon, the Cabinet’s Covid operations sub-committee signed off on proposals to reintroduce a requirement for all travellers to take tests before coming to the country, coming into force from 4am on Tuesday, in an attempt to slow down the spread of omicron.

Under the new rule, those coming to the UK will be required to take a PCR or lateral flow test in the 48 hours before their flight.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... b-omicron/
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A day 2 PCR test is too late. Most infections happen in terminals and aircraft. A pre departure lateral flow, which is now the Rilke, would prevent the majority of those.
In fact PCR tests are too draconian in my view. A lateral flow followed by a PCR if positive would limit spreading infection.
It's not entirely clear what a returning UK resident with a +ve test is expected to do. Presumably, a departure country won't want them, an airline won't take them and a hotel won't accommodate them.