For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By ROG
Pete L--you could be right--although I recall doing a couple of flights with a guy who had a twin.--Comanche.
There"s usually someone with a light aircraft on most of the Islands. Enquire at the ATC I joined the Barbados flying club--aircraft weren"t great--hand held mikes. If you"re working out there for any time you can get a local license.
If anyone wants to fly out there i"d advise take your own headset and fly very early in the morning--6 to 7--it usually gets too hot after that .
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I flew a C172 with the CFI at Barbados flying club. He was smart enough but not the sort to resort to braid. The a/c though ....... I didn't know much at the time (don't now, tbh) but even I could see the prop was in less than perfect condition. Still, we had a great time and MrT6 took some lovely photos of the coastline and the Kensington Oval :mrgreen:
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheFarmer wrote:and Le Chameau wellies.

:shock: Wash your mouth out...

Its Loafers, I say again Loafers. Repeat after me... "Loafers"...
:wink:
Regards, SD..
T6Harvard liked this
By Trent772
Us Pilot Ben, who checked me out on a 182, G-AYWD for parachuting years ago at Brunton flew in wellies with L & R on them.

I understand that WD is a respectable aeroplane now - Ohhhhh if they knew what it used to do :pirat:
By kanga
For some of my early civil PPL training my footwear looked like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukluk

.. which was ideal for the location and climate :)

Back to OP: I recall being chuffed when on my QXC, at Biggin Hill the outrageously high landing fee (10/6 rather than the 7/6 at Ipswich) was slightly compensated when the nice lady who took the fee addressed me as 'Captain' :)

[ISTR reading in Air Clues many decades ago the tale of a very experienced RAF FJ pilot, ex CFS, who was OC of an AEF in the Chipmunk era when most AEF pilots were ex-WW2 or National Service. He wasfresh-faced and of short stature, and when not flying he often worked on his own homebuilt in the hangar wearing a very scruffy old flying suit similar to those then worn by Cadets while being flown. He was walking from the hangar past where Cadets were usually waiting for flights, but there were none, nor a Cadet nor Officer maintaining the manifest. A young ex-NS pilot walking out to a Chippie, not recognising him and assuming he was a Cadet further assumed he was the next assigned one, told him to get into the rear cockpit. There one of the ground crew (who obviously did recognise him but did not disabuse the young pilot after the OC winked at him) strapped the OC in and pulled the canopy forward ..

After takeoff and climb to a fair height the pilot asked the 'Cadet' if he'd been up in a Chipmunk before. OC (adopting squeaky voice) 'quite a lot, Sir'; 'anything you'd like to do ?'; 'May I do some aeros, please, Sir ?'; 'OK, you have control'; 'I have control, Sir' ..

OC then immediately went into a full CFS-standard high-G sequence for several minutes, which the pilot up front was apparently too startled then scared to interrupt ..

'Thankyou, Sir, I enjoyed that; you have control, Sir' .. :wink: ]
Last edited by kanga on Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben K, Dave W, Pete L liked this
By Flyingfemme
kanga wrote:For some of my early civil PPL training my footwear looked like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukluk

And the modern equivalent has to be a pair of Uggs - which I frequently wear for cold weather flying (in fact, pretty much all year across the North Atlantic). They are loose enough to take the feet of my immersion suit :roll: 8)
kanga liked this
By ROG
Many years ago when working in France, I flew with a French mate out of Lognes.
A young lad about 16/17 offered to help me fuel up. Are you learning to fly -asked I , Yes he replied. He had thick pebble specs on and was quite short.
About 10 minutes later-he reappeared with a parachute on his back--took off in a Sukhoi or similar and did a superb aerobatic performance.
I subsequently met his father--the club president-who told me that the lad was the french junior aerobatic champion. He wanted to be a commercial pilot but because of his eyesight it was not possible.
He could do things with an aircraft that most of us would never do.
You neve know by appearances what someone might have achieved
Flyin'Dutch', kanga, mick w and 1 others liked this