For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
OCB wrote:All this talk of the 60s or 70s being "the best years to be a teenager" - have a bit of consideration for us poor beggars who went through that phase in the 80s.....

I may have been born in the wrong era: I have always preferred, in live performance and broadcast/recording, G&S and Victorian Music Hall to anything from the 20th c :wink:
@kanga - you know, there probably are young’uns on here who don’t know G&S….who might think they are like H&M or M&S….

Yes, g&s were still a Uni thing in the 80s and early 90s. No clue about today’s lot though….

One quirk of the 50s and 60s that I love to this day is Tom Lehrer, but we are going way off piste now.
T6Harvard, kanga liked this
I seemed to be forever at sea and never got to grips with pop music - we all lived in a black submarine ! The BBC world service was all we had, and that was phasing in and out, sometimes unlistenable. Never really a Beatles fan, and always regarded Lennon to be a dropout and drug addict in later years and hardly a role model - reasonable music, shame about the life. I listen a lot to Brit Floyd who I think are better live than Pink Floyd themselves. This modern “rap” stuff is absolutely abominable.
Pete L liked this
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote: I listen a lot to Brit Floyd who I think are better live than Pink Floyd themselves. This modern “rap” stuff is absolutely abominable.

So were you listening to several small animals grooving in a crypt or were you going for the more aspirational "Set the controls for the Heart of the Sun"?

The boat that rocked!
By T6Harvard
Paultheparaglider wrote:
OCB wrote:@kanga - you know, there probably are young’uns on here who don’t know G&S.

Who could forget Alone Again (Naturally), or Claire? :wink:

G&S didn't feature at my Uni in the mid 80's, because at that time it was just a Polytechnic with pretensions rather than a red brick establishment :mrgreen:
However.....the first record I bought was Alone Again by G.O'S :shock:
Paultheparaglider liked this
By Highland Park
Drumming and drummers have always fascinated me (Ian Paice being my favourite and Buddy Rich is on another level), but I’ve become aware that Ringo seems to be quite well respected within the drummers’ community and not how he’s been portrayed in some parts of the media.

Certainly in some of the series I’ve seen about drumming, his rhythms seem to be more complex than perhaps first appeared?

Ian
@Rob P - I see that it is described as "so aimless it threatens your sanity", a bit like life itself, then.

I plan to watch it precisely for that reason, it is just a window into another world, a chance to witness something I didn't actually get to see. Any glimpse of real lives would include massive chunks of the humdrum and that's where lives are really lived. I'm looking forward to seeing part one this weekend. It is a shame that Mr Petridis can't watch anything longer than a YouTube video without yawning especially when you think of the songs that came out of those sessions. I'd watch eight hours of paint drying for the chance to listen to Get Back or The Long and Winding Road just once.
Flyingfemme, Pete L, Rob P and 2 others liked this
Rob P wrote:The first critique of the documentary is not encouraging

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... our-sanity

Rob P

I think that's what is termed as "lazy and blatant click bait" - a bit like all those YouTube videos saying "DONT BUY XYZ UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THIS VIDEO"...basically trying to get traffic whilst piggy-backing off of something that other (talented) people have spent a very long time on.

Of course it's a bit aimless - it's a "rockumentary" - and it's specifically why I named the subject "time machine". It's a slice-of-life piece - but featuring the Beatles.
Rob P, lobstaboy, JAFO liked this
lobstaboy wrote:
Paultheparaglider wrote:
BobD wrote:
I am so grateful to have been a teenager in the 60's, the best decade the world has known, which gave us the best music

Complete rubbish. Everyone knows the 70s was the best decade for music. By sheer coincidence, those were my teenage years. :wink:

No. No you're both wrong. The best ten years for music were 1965-75. Heydays of pirate radio until just before punk.
In other words, my teenage years ;)

I hate to point this out that in fact the best years ranged from the late 70’s through the early eighties,

When we had the likes of Blondie, The BeeGees Disco era, ABBA, then Madness, The Specials and then the New Romantics started, who can disregard Duran Duran.

All music that made you feel alive.

The message/story behind Madness writing “Embarrassment” was amazing, and as youngsters we understood it.
I think children who were around during “two tone” (as I was) are blind to the colour of someone’s skin.

Once it got to the late eighties/early nineties, it went rap and boy bands and general Simon Cowell put together rubbish.
Nobody played instruments anymore, or wrote their own songs. That was when the music died and I believe that also killed society. I think music is so important in your formative years.
lobstaboy, T6Harvard liked this
Petridis is a fool (a comment I'm basing on much previous reading of his output). I'm afraid the Guardian's music reviews are aimed at a much younger audience than the average reader of these forums.

I'm feeling a bit odd about those times this morning. Because of this thread I went searching out (on the internet) the only person I knew really well who was truly part of the music scene in the late 60s and early 70s, only to discover he died about six years ago. He was keyboard player for Arthur Brown (Fire!) and had been at the forefront of electronic music - no computers then.
Anyway I remember lots of humdrum, rambling conversations. He introduced me to crosswords, the music of Captain Beefheart and Tangerine Dream, cricket, and certain substances...
RIP Goodge.
Petridis would do well to remember that genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.