For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Can someone advise re unsubscribing from email databases?

Every week I have an unsubscribefest but the spam just keeps on coming.

Im clearly doing it wrong.
By eltonioni
Use Gmail and enjoy an almost entirely spam free existence.
By johnm
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Can someone advise re unsubscribing from email databases?

Every week I have an unsubscribefest but the spam just keeps on coming.

Im clearly doing it wrong.

You need to check whether the email comes from a reputable source if you want unsubscribe to work. Major High St stores for example should play ball, but the dodgy ones just use "unsubscribe" to confirm they are getting to a real person.....
flybymike liked this
By PeteSpencer
Sooty25 wrote:unsubscribing tends to just confirm your email address is valid.

Only tends to work if you actually subscribed in the first place!

That would be my view: Delete 'em never reply.

I unsubscribed from 'enlarge your knob' and a 'Russian girls will give you a good time' spams many years ago and within a week was flooded with five times the number of spams.

I've deleted them ever since, unopened. :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By GrahamB
eltonioni wrote:Use Gmail and enjoy an almost entirely spam free existence.

If only that were universally true.

I still have to trawl the tens of successfully trapped spam emails daily for the odd false positive which could be quite important (I had one of those yesterday, as it happens).
eltonioni liked this
By Sooty25
Sir Morley Steven wrote:So just stick em all in spam?

there is no complete solution. You can slow it down, but how, depends on how you receive email and whatever method you use, it still runs the risk of dumping a wanted email.
By Flyingfemme
The problem for those of us in business is that you expect/hope for emails from people you don't already know, offering money etc..........all you can do is scan them quickly and delete. Maybe direct your spam filter to delete automatically from that address in future.
By OCB
Has anyone tried the Apple “hide my email address” service?

It seems a pretty good idea, as long as you trust Apple (which I do, WRT Google)
By Rob P
seanxair wrote: Quite a few from someone called Jessica who I think likes me :shock:

I just checked mine, even searched it, and she seems to be giving me the cold shoulder :(

Rob P
seanxair liked this
By Rob L

Use other than Gmail and enjoy an entirely spam free existence.
By Sir Morley Steven
Rob P wrote:
seanxair wrote: Quite a few from someone called Jessica who I think likes me :shock:

I just checked mine, even searched it, and she seems to be giving me the cold shoulder :(

Rob P

I get Roxanne on Facebook every now and again.

The ones I keep getting on email are sadly standard Oka and Buster n Punch stuff. I wondered if they had sold my data on.
By eltonioni
Rob L wrote:

Use other than Gmail and enjoy an entirely spam free existence.

You've found the Holy Grail there Rob. Assuming that it's not just Basildon Bond, what are you using?

My latest check at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is a bit depressing :(
Pwned in 12 data breaches and found no pastes

Presumably the firms who suffer data breaches, especially the larger ones, are fined. Who gets the cash 'cos it's certainly not us victims?