For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
I know I'm taking liberties here, but I'm on an energy efficiency drive at my place just now - and one gadget I had been resisting for years was an IR camera thingy.

I got a good deal from Amazon Warehouse in DE, but it's for an Android device - and apparently the 2 Android devices that I have aren't compatible, fair enough as they are old and slow... :shock:

I just wondered if anyone has an Android FLIR IR camera add-on for Android, and what handheld do they use?

I was looking for something tablet sized, as I plan to use same tablet as a portable library of reference manuals for the various old-timer cars and 70s/80s arcade machines I (try to) repair....

FLIR say a Tab S4 is supported - but will FLIR One Pro work with other Android tablets??
By Big Dex
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In the absence of more useful responses, I'll volunteer my experience... I have the iOS FLIR, and find it to be very good. I use if for tracing underfloor heating systems before drilling holes in floors, and it has paid for itself by a couple of orders of magnitude. Great little bit of kit!

No idea about the Android variant though, sorry!
By Ridders
I have my FLIR thingy, plugged into a Motorola android…it was a free pre production handset from my previous work.
It just ‘works’. Why do you ask?

I noticed, It’s not that accurate at somewhat higher temperatures. I had to buy a laser temp gun device in order to calibrate my heat iron, when working on the fabric of the aircraft. The FLIR was wildly inaccurate at the high end.

It’s very interesting looking at the warm and cold bits of the house!
By OCB
Ridders wrote:I have my FLIR thingy, plugged into a Motorola android…it was a free pre production handset from my previous work.
It just ‘works’. Why do you ask?

I noticed, It’s not that accurate at somewhat higher temperatures. I had to buy a laser temp gun device in order to calibrate my heat iron, when working on the fabric of the aircraft. The FLIR was wildly inaccurate at the high end.

It’s very interesting looking at the warm and cold bits of the house!

I'm asking cos the list of "compatible" Android devices - especially tablet sized - is very limited. I basically don't want to spend any more than I have to (ideally around 100 eur, 2nd hand/refurb is fine) - as the device will mainly be used for storing and referring to workshop manuals and schematics, and for using the FLIR.

Out of curiosity - when you say wildly out at the high end, is that with the FLIR (max 120oC) or the FLIR Pro (max 400oC).

Indeed, my first "fun " task will be to go around the house and hunting where my heating goes!
As an aside - having had a few weeks of my Tado smart TRVs - I'm shocked to see the tiny "rest room" at the main entrance draws the 2nd largest demand for heat, even with it set to a chilly 17oC...the room is 0.92m long x1.1m wide x2.3m high, with a 45x80cm 20mm double glazed window....it does jut out on 2 sides from the rest of the building and is north facing, and I suspect I'll be doing some work in there in the very near future!
kanga wrote:Oldish story now, but this post of mine was about using IR with an Android 'phone, during the Ebola crisis in Sierra Leone:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=109876&p=1641966

...quite right for mentioning it again, having offspring fighting ebola is slightly more important than finding leaky insulation... :oops:

I managed to get my cheapo Amazon Fire HD to work with "another" FLIR app - next few days are getting close to brass monkey limits, I'm definitely going to have fun! Acting like a kid, whilst being too old to be one is seriously underrated....
kanga liked this
aha - I honestly wouldn't have thought of this, but the FLIR showed me the bliddy obvious; the cistern in the tiny toilet room is acting as a ruddy big cooling tank :shock: :doh:

That's fine - I needed good arguments for the inevitable "discussions" with my wife about yet another one of my "crazy ideas"; this one is to put internal wall insulation + change the cistern for one with insulation.

Since the room is so tiny, and cos I'm a bit of a geek - I'm going to line the walls with 15mm vacuum insulation panels, then wood on top (and then wallpaper and paint). This means yanking the radiator off to get the work done, taking the toilet off the wall and moving it 17 or 18mm further in so I can get the insulation on.

yes - I was curious to see if my hand print would leave a trace...which it did...and yes, it's bliddy good fun doing thermal "art" on various cold surfaces :D

Colonel Panic liked this
By PeteSpencer
Get her to knit a 'tea cosy' for the bog. :shock:

(relieved to see I'm not the only one that suffers from uncommanded 90 deg rotation of images by the FF upload mechanism :lol: )
By OCB
PeteSpencer wrote:Get her to knit a 'tea cosy' for the bog. :shock:

(relieved to see I'm not the only one that suffers from uncommanded 90 deg rotation of images by the FF upload mechanism :lol: )

:lol:

I was happy I managed to get the image from the Android device I never use onto the Forum. TBF, the camera was squinty when I took the photo :)

I am seriously looking to DIY create an aerogel thermal insert into (and behind) the existing cistern. I'm surprisingly struggling to find a European vendor of the BASF aerogel composite materials :(
By OCB
rikur_ wrote:it would be easier just to plumb the cistern into the hot water supply
[not a serious suggestion]

It would be easier just to remove the radiator and show the whinging cold rsed family photos of the outside (and shared) shonkies my family and friends put up with. My lot at least just have to hike their lazy butts up one flight of stairs if they want the luxury bog experience. :roll:

*edit to say - as chief scout for more than 450 kids, it’s becoming more and more of an issue that kids can’t “drop a log” during camps, even up to 10-14 days. Hovering your lilly white, whilst balancing between two rather jaggy recently chopped down pine-trees is apparently a problem for kids these days.
By seanxair
OCB wrote:Hovering your lilly white, whilst balancing between two rather jaggy recently chopped down pine-trees is apparently a problem for kids these days.

Completing the thread drift :D we had a privy in a racing stables I worked at in Ireland which was a plank perched over a free running stream in a narrow outdoor passage. The game was to 'splat the rat' that would appear 4 or 5 feet below in expectation of something tasty :cyclopsani: